Your Blog on Linkedin: Why do we make people (California)

Post your remarks to WorkCompCentral's editors on stories, content, comments, etc.

Your Blog on Linkedin: Why do we make people (California)

Postby stewshe on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Davidd,

I really appreciated your blog on Lindedin Tuesday about <<Why Do We Make People "Disabled"?>> I would have added a comment, but the system wouldn't let me since I don't use any of the approved e-mail formats.

I wanted to tell you I agreed completely. Around 25+ years ago I was a relatively new Legal Assistant and was interviewing a new injured worker after an initial interview by one of the firm's attorneys.

As I recall, the EE had fallen from a loading dock, but claimed to have been pushed. His work did not directly involve him loading and unloading trucks, but his job was by no means sedentary. There were details to work out as to potential liability of a third party and many other problems.

During the course of the interview I asked him if he had any "pre-existing disabilities." He of course answered, "No."

Further questioning reveled he had a glass eye and a "wooden leg" from below the knee down due to prior injuries! When I told him those were both "disabilities," his reply was a classic!

He said, "Shucks, that don't slow me down none!"

Other injured workers claimed to be totally disabled because of minor injuries such as a partial or complete amputation of a finger! One claim even led to a death claim because the EE committed suicide! He had the pad of his left index finger amputated at work. The finger was so sensitive he could not play the guitar in his band (a 2nd job) and he believed that was why his girl friend left him for someone else! As I recall, death benefits were awarded to a dependent child.

As you post, it is often "us" who make people disabled, though sometimes they manage to do it to themselves!

Stew (Happily retired!)
James T. Stewart (stewshe@comcast.net)
stewshe

Re: Your Blog on Linkedin: Why do we make people (California)

Postby stewshe on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:40 pm

Davidd,

I just noticed my "Signature" still lists my books for sale and that is no longer true. All rights were sold 4/24/13 to LexisNexis. They are only available on their website the last I heard, but possibly also at seminars I would think?

Could you please delete my "Signature"? I tried to edit it, but can't recall how to do it.

Thanks in advance,

Stew
stewshe

Re: Your Blog on Linkedin: Why do we make people (California)

Postby vampireinthenight on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:27 am

I am always interested in the idea of a uniform way to help and motivate people to heal and improve self-image. My concern is there seems to be such a large movement to encourage and validate people when they simply give up on life. I think it is important to teach people to be fighters and not to give up so easily...
vampireinthenight

Return to Letters to the Editor