Register a Topical Pain Cream with the DWC (California)

Post your remarks to WorkCompCentral's editors on stories, content, comments, etc.

Register a Topical Pain Cream with the DWC (California)

Postby wayne-f@comcast.net on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:40 am

I would like to know how to submit and register a Topical Pain Cream to be on the DWC website. I know there are a few already on the DWC website. How is it done properly?
Let me know what you recommend.
Sincerely,
Wayne
408 655-4904
wayne-f@comcast.net

Re: Register a Topical Pain Cream with the DWC (California)

Postby davidd on Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:15 am

Wayne - it's unclear exactly what you want to do. What is the URL of the site you wish to be on? That might help.
davidd
Site Admin

Postby gaiassoul1@yahoo.com on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:54 pm

in order to "register" a topical cream to be on the DWC website, it has to have a National Drug Code...so that is where you start, you apply for a National Drug Code, with the FDA, then you negotiate your average wholesale price with Medicare, then it is on the DWC website, because we have a Medicare based system.

I have kept this really simplistic....it is much, much easier to just compound the cream and assure you are using ingredients that have NDC codes that are already on the Medicare list.

however, I think that is what you are asking???
gaiassoul1@yahoo.com

Postby wayne-f@comcast.net on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:02 am

I am working with the manufacturer to get the NDC codes. Once we have that, how do we negotiate or contact Medicare?
I have done the compounding method in the past and need to move towards manufacturing due to the volume.
I look forward to your reply.
wayne-f@comcast.net

Postby gaiassoul1@yahoo.com on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:35 pm

ok, you lost me....the product already has an NDC code or the manufacturer is now applying for them, that would make a difference for my answer....
gaiassoul1@yahoo.com

Postby wayne-f@comcast.net on Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:57 pm

The product does not have an NDC. The manufacturer will apply for the NDC code. Once we have an NDC is where I need direction.
The goal is to have it posted on the DWC website. I am working on getting the website URL.
Let me know
wayne-f@comcast.net

Postby gaiassoul1@yahoo.com on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:10 pm

the URL is immaterial....you do not get it on the DWC pharmaceutical pricing website.

you GET it on the Medicare list at an approved price so the NDC number comes up in Medicare's database for pricing.....

be back with your other answer, have to verify it is still what I think it is.
gaiassoul1@yahoo.com

Postby rider001 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:22 pm

if im not mistaken medications are off the Medi-Cal system.
rider001

Postby gaiassoul1@yahoo.com on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:48 pm

no they are not, I can still sign in and price any compound medication that uses NDC numbers already on the Medicare system
gaiassoul1@yahoo.com

Postby stevepsca on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:29 pm

Medicare, Medicade, Medi-Cal... all use the NDC codes.
You may download the current Medi-Cal pharmacy fee rates here (Zip file, 8.54 MB, updated 9/22/2010 - also available via ftp to http://www.dir.ca.gov, anonymous login). The file's record layout and instructions are included in the zip file, and may also be viewed here.

You may look up the current price of simple prescriptions by completing the form below and clicking "price". For compound prescription pricing, click here. If you are working from a file with 10 digit NDC numbers, please click here.
For more on this, or to use the form it's here http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/pharmfeesched/pfs.asp

Medicare formulary can change every year. Which doesn't really affect the WC ''reasonable and necessary'' mandate.
stevepsca

Next

Return to Letters to the Editor