Mayan Long Count & date calculations (California) (Californi

Share your different, weird, exciting or interesting stories from the trenches!

Mayan Long Count & date calculations (California) (Californi

Postby stewshe on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:36 am

All,

This post has nothing to do with workers' comp in Calif. I know most of us have heard of the Mayan Long Count calendar which is due to end on 12/21/2012. This is actually a calendar system apparently begun around 500 B.C. and it's starting date was, using our current calendar system, Sept. 6, 3114 B.C.!

I have a date calculator which adds or subtracts dates or number of days between 2 dates. (If you're adding days you have to subtract one to make the answer inclusive.) I turned down $100 for it a few years ago. My wife bought it for me as a Christmas present the year before I left The Hartford to go to work for Curtis Cole 31 years ago. I've used it a lot in comp.

Anyhow, I tried to use it to calculate when the Long Count Calendar which begins 12/22/2012 will end but this was beyond the limits of my little calculator, so I went to http://www.wolframalpha.com/widgets and got the answer, May 3, 7138 . . . and leap year will not occur until 2 years later! In case anyone is interested, the wolframalpha.com site contains a wide variety of very powerful mathematical, scientific and other calculating programs. I believe it won an artifical intelligence award from Popular Science a few years ago. It has a vast store of knowledge over many fields of study including virtually any scientific subject, math, history, astronomy, sociology, government. the list of topics is quite long.

It is a free site. It generates output by doing computations from its own internal knowledge base, instead of searching the web and returning links.

By the way, my little handheld calculator was able to add 10,000 days to today's date and get May 3rd, 2040, a Thursday (subtracting 1 day to make the calculation inclusive). I just found it will not calculate beyond 12/31/2099.

Stew
James T. Stewart (stewshe@comcast.net)
stewshe

Return to War Stories