PM's icon visibility. (California)

This forum is for posting comments, questions, issues, or "wish lists" regarding workcompcentral.com technical features and/or functionality.

PM's icon visibility. (California)

Postby art... on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:54 pm

Question: When logged in I see the PM icon next to my posts but when just browsing w/o having logged in it isn't there. No biggie for me, but is this behavior true for others viewing the threads? ie: My PM icon is only visible to them if I'm logged in? While it seems unlikely, I can't tell what others see and I know some kinks are still being worked out.

Thanks in advance...
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before."---Dwight D. Eisenhower
art...

Re: PM's icon visibility. (California)

Postby davidd on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:10 am

Hi Art - yes, you are correct. You must be logged in to see the PM icon or to conduct any interactive activity (is that redundant?).
davidd
Site Admin

Re: PM's icon visibility. (California) (California)

Postby art... on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:24 am

Hi David,

Perhaps I wasn't clear. My question is whether my (or anyones for that matter) PM icon is always displayed to others regardless of login status. The reason I ask is that 1) If it is then it's the easiest way for people to PM one another; 2) I can't tell how it appears to others, only to me.

Does that make sense?
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before."---Dwight D. Eisenhower
art...

Postby davidd on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:28 am

Your PM status is NOT always displayed. One must be logged in to see the PM icon (you can't PM without being logged in).
davidd
Site Admin

Re: PM's icon visibility. (California) (California) (California)

Postby art... on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:28 am

OK, I get it. To PM someone who isn't logged on you have to use your UCP (User Control Panel) or the "Members" link at the top right of the page. I promise I wasn't trying to be dense (that comes naturally :lol: ), it's just that if I remember correctly, on the old system the PM icon was always available even when the person wasn't logged on. I've noticed the diagonal blue stripe that says "Online" when a person is logged on and notice your PM icon is always present regardless of whether your online stripe is on or not.

And, although I've tried to read all the FAQ's here I wasn't sure if there was a setting I'd missed that would leave it on--logged in or not--or if by chance my WCC cookie was corrupted and wouldn't allow retention of the intended setting.

Thanks for your patience...
art...

Postby postscript2 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:39 pm

I still can't even figure out how to put my previous "icon" in that little box...

But I'm asking---what are "board cookies" and what happens if I "delete" them???

Short of putting a fork in the toaster to get the tamalie out, I'm afraid to do too much as I'm a "tech" dummy! My computer has been really slow esp., on this site...

Thanks!

LCS :oops:
postscript2

Postby davidd on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:03 pm

You will need to save your prior icon to your local computer (Windows - right click on the icon -> Save As). Then on the new forum click on User Control Panel -> Profile -> Manage (or Edit) Avatar. Note the size limitations on avatars.

Re board cookies - from the forum faq: “Delete all board cookies”deletes the cookies created by phpBB which keep you authenticated and logged into the board. It also provides functions such as read tracking if they have been enabled by the board owner. If you are having login or logout problems, deleting board cookies may help.
davidd
Site Admin

Return to WCC Tech