Newbie Question (California) (California)

This forum is dedicated to claims adjusters and the peculiar issues confronting claims professionals.

Newbie Question (California) (California)

Postby Bill R. O'Medlegal on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:54 pm

Hi,

I just started working as a biller for a doctor who does a lot of QME/AME work. I want to make sure I bill things right, as there are changes coming in October. I have found some good information on this forum. (appliedpsych has very good advice and observations, btw.)

When I read about the regulation change on ca.gov, it said that Medical Legal services did not have to be submitted on CMS 1500.

My question: Would a Med-Legal bill get paid faster if it was submitted on CMS 1500, or is that trying to put a square peg in a round hole? If I don't use CMS 1500, is there a standard template for the bill?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can share their insight.
Bill R. O'Medlegal

Re: Newbie Question (California) (California)

Postby gaiassoul1@yahoo.com on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:39 pm

It is all examiner and insurance company dependent, so if you have been getting paid, given the usual glitches, I say if it is not broke don't fix it.

There are issues for all physicians getting paid, as examiners usually have to breeze through their bills and do not even recognize who are the medical-legal providers, thanks to the treaters who label their bill that way, which I think should be illegal.
gaiassoul1@yahoo.com

Re: Newbie Question (California) (California)

Postby Bill R. O'Medlegal on Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:58 pm

gaiassoul1@yahoo.com wrote:It is all examiner and insurance company dependent, so if you have been getting paid, given the usual glitches, I say if it is not broke don't fix it.

There are issues for all physicians getting paid, as examiners usually have to breeze through their bills and do not even recognize who are the medical-legal providers, thanks to the treaters who label their bill that way, which I think should be illegal.

Thanks, Gaiassoul1. What I'm currently using isn't broke, just wasn't sure if it will be in October.

In your last sentence, do you mean that providers are billing for medlegal when they are treating? That would be another reason not to use CMS 1500, I guess. Wouldn't want to imply treatment, which seems to be focus of the form.
Bill R. O'Medlegal

Return to Claims Adjusters