ANY WORK OUT THERE???? N/P (California) (California)

This forum is dedicated to claims adjusters and the peculiar issues confronting claims professionals.

ANY WORK OUT THERE???? N/P (California) (California)

Postby postscript2 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:31 pm

Anyone hiring - OR - just increasing claim loads??? Every time I look, there are jobs (but few) and they involve companies with legal issues!!!

Thanx
postscript2

Re: ANY WORK OUT THERE???? N/P (California) (California)

Postby davidd on Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:34 am

Times are tough out there in the claims community. In fact, one of today's WCC headlines = "CWCI: Comp Written Premium Continues to Fall". Written premiums fall, means cash flow falls, means carrier no $$ to maintain claims people - ergo no hiring.

And, the economists that presented at NCCI in May were even more dire - we're in for a very prolonged painful period of un/under-employment and since WC is based on payroll there is no favorable outlook for several years.
davidd
Site Admin

Postby 50Cal2 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:09 am

Not only is nobody hiring, but companies are also trying to save expenses by eliminating education for their claims examiners. I have seen two companies actually say "we don't need education" and both have ended up in costly class action litigation over claims adjusting errors. For those companies who do provide internal education, the classes for the most part do not deal with everyday claims handling activities. Instead, they provide education on trivial things such as how to file a form. Some classes are provided via webinar where the adjuster multi-tasks and does five other things while supposedly watching the computer screen for education. As a result, applicant attorneys are taking advantage of an inexperienced claims staff by expanding every injury to include psyche, sexual dysfunction, sleep disorder and gastrointestinal problems from medication. Adjusters who have not learned how to properly defend such claims end up taking the easy way out by going to an AME, who undoubtedly finds partial causation from the industrial injury. Thus a simple broken arm has now turned into a $150,000 settlement. We all know it's true and its happening at alarming rate. Then we have Almaraz and Guzman to factor in to further increase the value of the claim. A vicious cycle has been created where an attempt to save money by eliminating education has cost the company well over 100-fold. Now that they are losing money because poor claims handling and low premiums, they can't hire new employees. It's sad.
50Cal2

Postby gaiassoul1@yahoo.com on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:10 pm

:D :roll: so that pesky education thing would be why an adjuster I spoke to this morning said we were not being paid because my physician is out of network, but then when I asked for a copy of the MPN notices she did not know what they were? lol...and I thought I was just being punked.
gaiassoul1@yahoo.com

Postby davidd on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:17 pm

Story in this morning's Wall Street Journal - 45.9% of the unemployed have been out of work for longer than six months - more than at any time since the Labor Department began keeping track in 1948.

Worse - seven million Americans have been looking for work for 27 weeks or more, and of that 4.7 million have been out of work for a year or more.

According to The Journal: "Even in the worst months of the early 1980s, when the jobless rate topped 10% for months on end, only about one in four of the unemployed was out of work for more than six months."
davidd
Site Admin

Re: ANY WORK OUT THERE???? N/P (California) (California) (Califo

Postby postscript2 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:31 pm

Hi 50 Cal, truer words were never spoken! Since when does a class of "Sr. W/C Examiner" enter into the vortex of claims with only 2-3 years experience??? You get what you pay for! Mistakes caused by "under educated" adjusters likely do quadruple the cost of claims in the long run. What's wrong with this picture??? I've worked with many an Adjuster who was just recruited upon graduating from college... Now tell me, what the hell does a B/A degree in "Phrenology, have to do with claims?

I guess I've just wasted 20 years of experience, extensive training, including ARM classes,"SIP/WCCA and WCCP status," in addition to "real" continuing education that I paid for on my "dime." If the W/C ER's would make smarter choices, delegate claims to those according to experience, maybe the industry wouldn't be in such a mess.

Repeat after me 3 times: (in various languages)

"Would you like to super-size that meal, Sir???"

LCS :x
postscript2

Re: ANY WORK OUT THERE???? N/P (California) (California) (Califo

Postby 50Cal2 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:53 am

Hi LCS: I agree that there should be a standard in order for someone to classified as a Senior Adjuster, but alas no such standard exists. It is also true that some companies hire out of college only to give the graduates a crash course in workers' compensation basics and then put them on a desk. The theory is that the company will save on salary by hiring new graduates and that in the long run (as years go by) they will have a more intelligent claims staff (if they are able to keep their employees). The success or failure of any such program depends on the qualifications and expertise of the company's education department who are empowered to teach and oversee the newly hired graduates. But wait...those in the education department were all laid off as mentioned in my earlier posting. So instead, a Senior Examiner with 2-3 years experience is assigned to teach the newly hired college graduates. It's the semi-blind teaching the blind. What's sad about this whole situation is that legitimately injured workers are the ones who suffer from an adjuster's inexperience while those marginally injured claimants, who are represented counsel, end up receiving tremendous settlements due to the attorney taking advantage of the inexperienced adjuster.
50Cal2

Postby rosellavera on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:37 am

Hi Leslie:

I will send my positive thoughts and prayers your way. I will light a red candle to St. Expedite tonight for you. I have been working in this field since 1978 and can't imagine doing anything else since I love this area of the law, but loving it and working for someone who just views it as a job that they don't like in particular is hard. The passion that I feel for this field is always shown in my eyes. I just wish I would pass that damn bar so that I could really use my knowledge before the Board.

Rose
rosellavera

Postby stevepsca on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:26 pm

One of the larger TPA's is moving to my town..(of 2450 residents). specifically, due to the CEO/president living on the hill above the new building...no doubt he'll have lots to say about the continuing "education" of the CA's, with the oversight available to him...

It's actually an effort to save fuel and commute time in the private plane to TN corp offices, apparently there will be a "corporate" corporate office for this TPA....(oops, think I've divulged a tad too much). Guess it's an effort to save the self insureds a dime or so....however, it is great for the job situation here...some 250 EE's I hear, eventually appx 1000...any thoughts to relocate LCS ?..PM me.
stevepsca

Postby TempAdjuster on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:42 pm

Rose,
Checkout the following to use that law degree (may be a pay cut):

https://healthadvocates.tms.hrdepartmen ... an-Oaks-CA
TempAdjuster

Return to Claims Adjusters