Duplication in Old Schedule Rating (California)

Ask your AMA Guide questions to Dr. Chris Brigham. Christopher R. Brigham, MD is recognized as the nation's leading expert, author, and trainer on the Guides (www.impairment.com). We have expanded this category to include other rating questions under both new and old schedules.

Duplication in Old Schedule Rating (California)

Postby Harold on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:11 pm

The applicant in this case has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. The orthopedic doctor gave a restriction to semi-sedentary work due to the fibromyalgia. The pscyhe report rated to 58% which was due to the fibromyalgia pain causing the work function impairments. For settlement purposes, would there be any overlap/duplication between these reports?
Thanks for your time.
Harold

Re: Duplication in Old Schedule Rating (California)

Postby ozzie on Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:55 pm

The post is rather old, but I'll offer my thoughts: even as a defense attorney, I do NOT see any overlap. Fibromyalgia is essentially a bodily disease; the psychiatric impairment appears to be indicative of a mental reaction to that bodily disease, and I think most WCJ's would make that same conclusion.

I do see the argument that both are really simply manifestations of the same thing, i.e., pain; and since pain is the result of brain function in reading the nerve signals, and so is the psychiatric impairment, the same impairment is really getting rated twice.

Seems to me the solution is to create an analogy to, say, a back injury, or a broken arm, or perhaps a bad burn, which of course creates pain. But the mind is then affected by the pain, creating a purely psychological result in addition to the physical injury. There is clearly two ratable components in this example; same, I believe, would apply to the question you pose.
ozzie

Re: Duplication in Old Schedule Rating (California)

Postby Harold on Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:11 pm

Thank you for your response.
Harold

Return to AMA Guides & Ratings