Still confused about Add-On (California)

Ask your AMA Guide questions to Dr. Chris Brigham. Christopher R. Brigham, MD is recognized as the nation's leading expert, author, and trainer on the Guides (www.impairment.com). We have expanded this category to include other rating questions under both new and old schedules.

Still confused about Add-On (California)

Postby rosellavera on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:19 pm

If the IW gets an impairment of 8% based on Lumbar DRE CAT II, which according to the AMA Guides "each category includes a range to account for the resolution or continuation of symptoms and their impact on the ability to perform ADL", can a doctor add an additional 1% to the 8%? The doctor states: "based on the reported symptoms as they affect his activities of daily living, I would add an additional 1% disability." It appears to me that this has already been factored into the 8%, Am I wrong?
rosellavera

Re: Still confused about Add-On (California)

Postby denyse on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:54 pm

DEU will rate it. I am fairly certain there is no case law - probably due to the low monetary value. I like to use page 570 (top second column) where it discusses how pain is used to increase DRE. I think you are right, but acknowledge the real world. The problem is not your case, it is when a doctor gives 3 DRE's and a 3% increase (that's +12). Query, if DRE is increased for pain and impact on ADL, isn't that limited to 3% per injury in Cali (page 1-12, PDRS)?
denyse

Return to AMA Guides & Ratings