shoulder-arthroscopy-no-better-sham-surgery (California) (Ca

This category is for the discussion of medical issues specific to workers' compensation.

shoulder-arthroscopy-no-better-sham-surgery (California) (Ca

Postby 4anewusers on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:40 am

http://lowninstitute.org/news/new-study ... m-surgery/

" A new study in The Lancet by Dr. David Beard and other members of the Can Shoulder Arthroscopy Work (CSAW) study group finds that patients with shoulder pain who received surgery to remove bone spurs and soft tissue from their shoulder do not feel better than patients who received a “sham” surgery (arthroscopy with no removal of bone spurs or tissue).
In the trial, 90 patients were given the surgery, 94 got a sham surgery, and 90 received no treatment. After six months, the patients reported their level of shoulder of pain and functionality using the Oxford Shoulder Score. The scores for patients who received the actual surgery were no better than those of patients who received the sham surgery (in fact, the scores were slightly lower on average).
While the scores of patients who received a procedure were higher than those who received no treatment, the differences were small and not clinically significant. The authors attribute this small difference to a placebo effect or patients receiving rehabilitation therapy.
The removal of bone spurs and tissue from the shoulder, known as subacromial decompression, has been used by orthopaedics to relieve outer shoulder pain since 1972, despite the lack of evidence that the procedure helps more than a placebo. The procedure makes sense logically – if shoulder pain is caused by rotator cuff tendons and bone spurs or tissue rubbing against each other, then removing these would eliminate the contact and fix the problem. But as we found out with ORBITA, just because a procedure makes sense doesn’t mean it works in practice. "
Patient Advocate for medical device safety and ethics. •Modern medicine offers important benefits, yet it also has the capacity to cause harm;•Those harms arise from three central failings: the overuse, underuse, and misuse of medical services.
4anewusers

Re: shoulder-arthroscopy-no-better-sham-surgery (California) (Ca

Postby injured7825 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:01 pm

I had subacromial decompression, I took a fall due to the back and that started the shoulder pain leading to the subacromial decompression, the only problem is that it didn’t resolve the pain, it turned out that the fall and the Type II acromial bone caused severe bicep tendonitis which lead to a 2nd surgery, a Biceps Tenodesis. Still not 100% but much better than it was, something I feel I can live with as long as I am careful.
injured7825

Postby vampireinthenight on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:07 am

I've spoken to a few shoulder surgeons who confirm that these kind of shoulder surgeries almost never have lasting effects. Totally deconditioned shoulders naturally evolve to painful conditions. The solution is strengthening the back muscles, which almost no one does even if they "go to the gym". Kind of sad that people would rather have surgery instead of doing pull ups a few days a week.
vampireinthenight

Postby injured7825 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:22 pm

I was told by my surgeon (non work comp surgeon) that my next step with be a shoulder replacement but that he didn't recommend it as they never do as well as knee replacements, I've already had 2 shoulder surgeries and am not looking for strike three. :lol:
injured7825

Return to Medical