digital versus manual inclinometers (California)

This category is for the discussion of medical issues specific to workers' compensation.

digital versus manual inclinometers (California)

Postby ratefast on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:36 pm

Hey! Does anyone in the forum have any opinions about Inclinometers? Do you use them? Digital or manual? Good results or different results? Thanks!
ratefast

Re: digital versus manual inclinometers (California)

Postby steve appell on Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:56 pm

Tell me how it relates to workers comp, and I will give you my opinion.
Steve

appellandassociates.com
6311 Van Nuys Bl #480
Van Nuys, Ca 91401
wcexaminer@aol.com

Check out 'WORK COMP MATTERS" Free PODCAST below
https://www.workcompcentral.com/educati ... ype=online
steve appell

Re: digital versus manual inclinometers (California) (California

Postby LienExaminer on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:19 am

A inclinometer is a tool used to measure spinal mobility or trunk asymmetry or Range of Motion in an orthopaedic setting.

There are a few companies that specialize in billing for these services (95851;95852).

The dilmenia is that they are billed separately by a different provider on the same date of service as a orthopedic consult is billed.
These companies "travel" to various orthopedists offices and bill out this code multiple times for multiple body parts. Even though the Orthopedist is also billing a 99245, 99358, 99354, and a 99080. If the Orthopedist were to bill the ROMs codes the bill review would not allow for them as they are considered to be apart of the 99245, a intergral part of a Orthopedist's evaluation of the patient. So in order to get compensated, a separate company with a different Tax ID (in one company's case has office space at this orthopedist same office) bills for them and bill review usually allows for them.
LienExaminer

Postby jpod on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:48 am

This information rasies more questions than it answers.

The obvious one is why is this being done? Is this being disclosed in the medical report?
jpod

Postby steve appell on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:25 am

So it measures range of motion..... OK THEN
Is it a reasonable diagnostic tool to determine AOE COE and disability?
If yes, it should be paid at the reasonable rate.
If not, then I would not pay for it.

Steve
Steve

appellandassociates.com
6311 Van Nuys Bl #480
Van Nuys, Ca 91401
wcexaminer@aol.com

Check out 'WORK COMP MATTERS" Free PODCAST below
https://www.workcompcentral.com/educati ... ype=online
steve appell

Postby LawAdvocate on Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:56 am

It does not matter how the ROM is taken as long is it is accurate. It should never be reimbursed above the manual rate. If a physician does not know how to use a manual inclinometer with accuracy, that is ridiculous. This is a scam, just like the companies that take other computerized testing and charge 200 times the manual testing rates.
LawAdvocate

Postby vampireinthenight on Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:37 am

I've never used one. P 405 of AMA Guides explains how to do it, as well as other sections. Looks pretty easy to me. I'm sure digital ones are more accurate and easy to use, but are more expensive. If I was doing a lot of cases, I would try the digital.
vampireinthenight

Postby psych74 on Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:29 pm

Dear LienExaminer,
In California WC one can no longer bill for 99245, 99358 or 99080. Well you can bill
for them, you just will not get paid (without a signed authorization in advance of service).
psych74

Postby LienExaminer on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:56 pm

psych74

Thank you, I am aware of the changes in the fee schedule beginning in 2014 and that consult codes have been deleted, as well as the codes for reports.
My post was referring to older billings.

There are two entities that pratice this billing method. They both bill separately for range of motion testings performed with an inclinometer on the same date of service that an extensive orthopedic consult is occurring. One of these entities has office space at this particular Ortho's office. If the Ortho consult included the ROMs on his bill, bill review would disallow them, that is why they bill them under a different name and with a different Tax Id#. The collectors on these bills actually tell me that these computerized ROMs are much more accurate that what the Orthopedist would determine the patients ROM is and that the Orthopedist measurements would be "subjective at best"!
LienExaminer

Postby LienExaminer on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:56 pm

psych74

Thank you, I am aware of the changes in the fee schedule beginning in 2014 and that consult codes have been deleted, as well as the codes for reports.
My post was referring to older billings.

There are two entities that pratice this billing method. They both bill separately for range of motion testings performed with an inclinometer on the same date of service that an extensive orthopedic consult is occurring. One of these entities has office space at this particular Ortho's office. If the Ortho consult included the ROMs on his bill, bill review would disallow them, that is why they bill them under a different name and with a different Tax Id#. The collectors on these bills actually tell me that these computerized ROMs are much more accurate that what the Orthopedist would determine the patients ROM is and that the Orthopedist measurements would be "subjective at best"!
LienExaminer

Next

Return to Medical