Documentary on the US medical device industry (California) (

This category is for the discussion of medical issues specific to workers' compensation.

Documentary on the US medical device industry (California) (

Postby 4anewusers on Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:47 pm

30,000 women who have banded together because of a medical device.

Billions in sales.
Millions of U.S. patients at risk.
An industry that goes largely unregulated and unchecked — until now. http://bleedingedgedoc.com

Global streaming service Netflix is prepping a documentary from Academy Award-nominated filmmakers Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering that exposes the multibillion dollar, unregulated medical device industry.

The Bleeding Edge turns its sights on the US$400 billion medical device industry, which is the third leading cause of death in America.

The film, which held its world premiere at the 2018 Tribeca Film Festival, examines the lax regulations, corporate cover-ups, and profit-driven incentives that put patients’ lives at risk on a daily basis. Featuring the stories of people whose lives have been harmed by such devices, The Bleeding Edge looks to answer the question of whether these so-called life-saving technologies are actually deadly.

The 99-minute documentary is a Netflix Original.

The Bleeding Edge premieres across Netflix on July 27.
Last edited by 4anewusers on Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patient Advocate for medical device safety and ethics. •Modern medicine offers important benefits, yet it also has the capacity to cause harm;•Those harms arise from three central failings: the overuse, underuse, and misuse of medical services.
4anewusers

Re: Documentary on the US medical device industry (California) (

Postby 4anewusers on Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:06 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slmilOb ... ture=share

The following is from the FB page for the documentary The Bleeding Edge..

"We had some very high-powered doctors view the film," says The Bleeding Edge producer Amy Ziering. "And then about a month later, I ran into one of them. And he said, "I gotta talk to you. I want you to know you changed my practice. And it was a big, big deal." I said, "What are you talking about?" He said, “Well, you know they sent me this device and normally that would be it.” They said, “This was great, put it into all your patients, infants included.” And I wrote back and said, “Show me the studies for infants.” They wrote back and said, “There are no studies.” And I wrote back and said, “So how can you tell me to put it in a newborn?” And they said, “Well, we did studies with 12 years and up.” And he said he would have never asked that question if he had never seen our film."

Several members of USA Patient Network are featured in this film. VISION: Ensuring that medical treatments involving drugs or devices are safe, effective, and affordable.
MISSION: An independent voice to strengthen the safety and effectiveness of pharmaceuticals and medical devices for patients through advocacy and education.
Patient Advocate for medical device safety and ethics. •Modern medicine offers important benefits, yet it also has the capacity to cause harm;•Those harms arise from three central failings: the overuse, underuse, and misuse of medical services.
4anewusers

Re: Documentary on the US medical device industry (California) (

Postby 4anewusers on Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:39 am

The Bleeding Edge documentary is now out on Netflix. Bayer announced they are removing Essure device off of the market a week before this film was released. Essure patient advocates did have a screening of the film outside of Bayer's corporate office.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/artic ... 091573.php
4anewusers

Return to Medical