Inversion Table / Massager (California)

This is the Forum to discuss treatment guideline issues (ACOEM, ODG, others), utilization review and medical provider networks.

Inversion Table / Massager (California)

Postby D.C.007 on Wed May 13, 2009 11:13 am

What EBM criteria could I use in justyfing an Inversion Table and Massage unit for home use by a patient with a lifetime medical award and currently receving on-going care. THANK YOU.
D.C.007

Re: Inversion Table / Massager (California)

Postby jpod on Wed May 13, 2009 1:56 pm

I mean no disrepect but isn't that putting the cart before the horse?

Why are you looking to reverse engineer a treatment modality if you have no idea it will be beneficial in helping to cure or relieve the injury?

In other words if you are unaware of any evidence based medicine to support your assertion that this device will out perform a placebo why on earth would you recomend this device for a patient over a placebo? This is the whole point behind EBM.
jpod

Postby dwcmedicalguy on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:49 pm

To be honest, this is the reason why many chiros get a bad rap in W.C. Trying to justify treatment for DME and other, that may not even be necessary. As a former adjuster, I would simply write up your PR-2 and submit the request to the IC's UR dept, citing specifically how the previous treatment did not cure and relieve (yada yada yada)..........., and cite how you believe the massager and inversion table will be of better benefit to the IW than previous treatment modalities dispensed. I would also include the subjectives from the patient which go a long long way in the decision. good luck !
dwcmedicalguy

Postby chirple on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:21 pm

The most frequent UR denial I see is not based on lack of EBM, but on the requesting physician's failure to even look at what is required to satisfy thE ACOEM guideline of previous testing/reporting/conservative/other care required before this particular request is made. Start there. If you find nothing to help there.

Then go back to your practice and look for the day you decided that this inversion table might be a good idea for your patient. Where did you learn that? School? Workshop? Vendor? Manufacturers' sales rep? What did they use to convince YOU it would be good for your patient? Work your way from there to find the EBM studies necessary to support your request. If you can't remember when YOU decided this would work for your patients, well, we can't help you.
chirple

Postby doc154 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:49 pm

I've never heard of an inversion unit and massager combined, but I do remember where I learned about inversion. As I remember the story, maybe incorrectly, my father (a DC in IA) knew the Martin brothers who were chiropractors from Missouri who became osteopaths and invented the first inversion device. My dad had one in his office and used to hang people upside down. He liked to do mobilization/adjustment while they were hanging upside down. Basically it's just a form of traction/distraction using the body weight and gravity instead of motors and pulleys.
Years later inversion became popular and there were a lot of different companies selling inversion devices. Then like most treatment fads it faded away. There was some warning about possible strokes. Another chapter in the story of the spine treatment industry.
So has your patient tried inversion and gotten great relief? How did you or he get the idea that it would be a good modality for him?
We used to have one in the office, but most of the patients were afraid of it and I was practically the only person using it.
doc154

Return to UR, Networks, Treatment Guides