Copy Service Billing Games? (California) (California) (Calif

The filing and enforcement of liens (different states refer to these with different terms) to secure payment for services or goods against a workers' compensation award is complex and filled with special rules - this category is for questions and discussion of this special area of work comp law.

Copy Service Billing Games? (California) (California) (Calif

Postby kurious kat on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:34 pm

I have noticed a new billing pattern for a copy service company. We now have a fee schedule that allows $180 per initial record set, additional electronic set within 30 days at $5.45 and if an additional electronic set is requested after 30 days, a cost of $30.00.

I am seeing the initial set and one electronic set followed about 30 days later for an additional electronic set. When I ask for a copy of the order I am told they will not provide them until they get to court. More interesting, I am often told the third set was for the applicant. When do AA want the applicant to have a link to their records?

How are we supposed to make a good faith attempt to settle if we can't see what was ordered, who ordered it, and where copies were to be sent? I am also seeing two subpoenas for each location, one for medical records and one for billing.

Anyone else seeing any copy company patterns? :?
Kat
If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet,
I'd put shoes on my cat.
kurious kat

Re: Copy Service Billing Games? (California) (California) (Calif

Postby chirple on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:28 am

Yes.

Just say NO.

Put your request in writing.

When they drag you down to DIR for a $30 lien, that they have failed to provide proof of, file a petition for attorney fees/costs.
chirple

Re: Copy Service Billing Games? (California) (California) (Calif

Postby kurious kat on Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:18 pm

Now they are filing liens and paying lien fees instead of "Petition for costs". If all my cases were from carriers/self-insured I would love to fight it and request sanctions on each and every billing. But I also represent uninsured cases. They are getting repeat med group records without restricting the date from the late date records were copied and for prior attorney files without the new AA having made a request for any docs or meds. On UI cases, even if I am on EAMS, they are sending the subpoenas to the employer, not me.

I understand the fee code cut into their profit but their current actions are questionable. It is patterns like this that opened medical groups to the DA investigations. The idea that EVERY applicant attorney requests a third set of records just past the 30 day mark is not credible. Sending multiple subpoenas to the same location saying the AA asked for personnel records, wage info, procedure or employee handbook as if they were different requests seems odd. I once had respect for this copy service.
If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet,
I'd put shoes on my cat.
kurious kat

Return to Liens