Verification form for interpreter services (California) (Cal

The filing and enforcement of liens (different states refer to these with different terms) to secure payment for services or goods against a workers' compensation award is complex and filled with special rules - this category is for questions and discussion of this special area of work comp law.

Verification form for interpreter services (California) (Cal

Postby jonbrissman on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:48 am

Pursuant to the guidance provided by the WCAB in its recent en banc decision, Jose Guitron v. SCIF, I drafted a form that interpreters may use to validate their services. The form has a section for a physician to sign (at medical appointments) and another section for an attorney's signature (at depositions and similar settings). It is intended to assist interpreters in meeting their burden of proof.

The form is not official and I am open to input on how to improve it. Nonetheless, interpreters may find it helpful and should feel free to use it.

JCB
Attachments
VERIFICATION OF INTERPRETING SERVICE (2).doc
(28 KiB) Downloaded 734 times
jonbrissman

Re: Verification form for interpreter services (California) (Cal

Postby Puzzled on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:04 pm

COMMENTS BY AN INTERPRETER I KNOW:

"I, (print name of interpreter & agency)"
Should be:
I, (print name of interpreter & agency, if applicable) - Some interpreters do interpreting on their own, with no go between (agency).

>"I was certified as an Admin. Hearing Interpreter by the State Personnel Board"
>"I was certified as a Medical Interpreter by the State Personnel Board"
It should read:
I am certified as a (Medical or Ad. Hearing) Interpreter by State Personnel Board - State Personnel Board started certifying interpreters only a few years ago and now oversees all medical and administrative hearing interpreters. Before, they were certified by CPS. Certification must be renewed yearly, so by now all these interpreters "are" currently certified by SPB.

>"I (medical provider) further declare that I am not proficient to communicate with the patient/examinee without interpreting assistance, that my office does not provide interpreters to assist patients, and that it is my office policy that an interpreter should accompany a patient/examinee who is not proficient in English."
This is not completely appropriate as English is the official language of the state of California. The medical provider or any staff member cannot be counted on being sufficiently competent as interpreters who have been certified by the State. This would be a disservice to an applicant, especially because medical reports are potential evidence. If used, the part about "does not provide interpreters" should read, at least, "does not provide qualified interpreters."

Additionally, a medical provider must also certify he/she is complying with Government Code 11435.55(b). Otherwise, he/she can cheat the system by entering into sweetheart deals with acquaintances and deny applicants competent language assistance.
Puzzled

Return to Liens