Surgery finally approved (California)

Rant, rave, share expiences, seek comfort - this forum is a general category. If you have a legal or medical question, go to Questions and Advise.

Surgery finally approved (California)

Postby Luckyazkd9 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:33 pm

I had a three disk lumbar fusion with cages and screws in October 2010. Left leg pain became worse. PTP waited two years before deciding pain was not going away. PTP requested hardware removal. Request denied. Finally hardware blocks approved and done. For one great day I was almost pain free. PTP submitted all needed medical data for a hardware removal. It was approved and now we just have to schedule. The lesson of my story is you have to keep on trying and finally with medical proof the great big wolf of the insurance company will certify. Now I just have to survive the surgery and recovery. 13 years since injured. Two lumbar spinal fusions, both knees completely replaced and both shoulders rotor cuffs repaired.
Luckyazkd9

Re: Surgery finally approved (California)

Postby suekarp on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:00 am

Lucky,
Please be very careful of what you ask for. As an adjuster, I see so many people who do not get the result that they hope for after surgery. Consider well if you can live with your current state of function. I know from my own experience. Many people told me that one of my knees would greatly improve after knee replacement after I had a number of earlier knee surgeries. The end result is that I have increased pain and decreased ROM, even though I work with a personal trainer 3 days/week. Happy about it - no. Improved function - no, and I have been fighting it for the last 4 years.

Don't expect a magic bullett. I wish you the very best of luck, whatever you decide.
suekarp

Postby Luckyazkd9 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:51 pm

Sue, thank you for your post. I had the surgery, was in Pacifica of long Beach hospital for six days. Last October they removed the screws in hope that my pain levels would go down. Three disk lumbar fusion with cages and rods was performed in October, 2010. The pain in my Lumbar and legs increased after the surgery. I had to wait three years before they would remove the screws. I often tell my wife, I should have never had the surgery as my situation is worse now. My PTP and the AME both agreed the surgery needed to be performed. Now I wonder, since Pacific hospital was giving kickbacks for spinal procedures was my Lumbar surgery really needed. My PTP is one of the 15 Doctors under question. Yes, I tried the creams however they were not very effective and very greasy (got all over the place) so I told them no when they were offered. I have also had both knees completely replaced within the past 8 years and understand the loss of ROM and the continued pain. Pain pills are my daily companion and allow me some comfort in my life. I am well aware of the long tern effects of the use of the pills however I do not see any other choice. AA and PTP appear to be very anxious to close this 14 year old case regardless of my final outcome after all the surgeries. Again, thank you for your post.
Luckyazkd9

Re: Surgery finally approved (California) (California) (Californ

Postby Barney5 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:39 pm

Have you changed PTP after this has happened to you? You have every right to change doctors at any time.

So very sorry for what you have been through.

Suekarp, I also wish you the best with your knee recovery.
Barney5

Postby suekarp on Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:31 am

Lucky,
Thanks for your good wishes. As you know, it is a daily fight but I am determined to win. I cannot imagine having a iack injury on top of very bad knees!
suekarp

Return to General