spinal epidurals are not FDA approved (California) (Californ

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

Re: spinal epidurals are not FDA approved (California) (Californ

Postby injured7825 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:32 pm

LawAdvocate, these studies 4anewuser posted are not without merit, for every study saying they are affective there are just as many saying they are not affective for back pain, there are also studies saying there is a risk of further neurological effects. Just as one time it became the norm for spinal fusions for low back pain, it is no longer the norm, the same should be the same for ESI injections.
In my case I have received far too many ESI injections to count that never lasted more than 1 week yet they kept being pushed on me by my pain management doctors, there are studies saying if they are not affective to not continue with them.
According to a study in the [url]July 3 issue of New England Journal of Medicine ESI’s were found to be of little benefit, with pain medications use on the decline thanks to the CDC, I can see an increase in ESI injections, while it may be true these ESI help some get relief, sometimes for months and with no ill effects, it is not true that they are always safe.
I follow many arachnoiditis groups and forums due to the fact I now have it from a surgery that went bad, there are countless people who did get arachnoiditis from ESI injections. I know whenever I had the ESI injections I was never warned of the possible complications (oral or written) from them, I was informed what to do with certain conditions following the injections.
The odds of attracting arachnoiditis due to an unskilled doctor or by not using fluoroscopy for this procedure, which does still happen, are high should any foreign substance enter the dural space or nick a nerve, in my opinion the warnings do needs to be stepped up and in writing, how can a patient make an informed decision when they are not aware of the risks or warning labels.
When I had a second spinal surgery I was informed of the risks, but not all the risks, arachnoiditis being the main one, ESI injections pure and simple are money makers for doctors, I had one ESI procedure done at the infamous Pacific Hospital of Long Beach, the lien on that one was like 14K, needless to say that lien was dismissed by the DWC.
https://www.ahrq.gov/news/newsroom/press-releases/2014/spinalpain.html
injured7825

Postby LawAdvocate on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:06 am

They are without merit because they don't meet the basic requirements of good science. But please remain in denial. These are one off studies, that were not peer reviewed, the study sizes were not of any substantial size and the results are not reproducible.

Each study is considered carefully on its own whether it meets basic science. But please, please keep sharing crap science and anecdotal experiences so that people who truly need help can't sort the trees from the forest.

If you weren't warned of the risks and complications of any procedures that is the grounds for medical malpractice. But I doubt it, since every time I undergo an ESI, I sign a consent form with the font the size of a pin and written in great legalese that warns me of the most likely risks and complications of the procedure. But please redact your consent form and post it here, I want to see the evidence. There is no way anyone can warn you of "all" of the risks, that is ridiculous that would require a small book for every adverse outcome ever known. They advise of the most likely and known risks, not the statistical outliers.

I know many medical journals that have published bona fide studies that ESIs are of little benefit in certain situations while there are just as many studies that indicate when an ESI is of great benefit.

That you let any physician push you into any medical procedure that was useless just proves my point, 80% of Americans are scientifically illiterate, this is why when people tell me they have received questionable medical care, I just roll my eyes. The bottom line is those of us who are scientifically literate don't receive this worthless invasive care, we may hit a bad physician, but we never go back. People of science get second opinions from physicians who at the top of their fields.

Arachnoidtis groups and forums - more anecdotal evidence - learn the difference between valid evidence and stories, stories do not matter when evaluating effective medicine. My point here is don't leave a trail of bad evidence for people.
LawAdvocate

Postby 4anewusers on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:56 am

injured7825 wrote:LawAdvocate, these studies 4anewuser posted are not without merit, for every study saying they are affective there are just as many saying they are not affective for back pain, there are also studies saying there is a risk of further neurological effects. Just as one time it became the norm for spinal fusions for low back pain, it is no longer the norm, the same should be the same for ESI injections.
In my case I have received far too many ESI injections to count that never lasted more than 1 week yet they kept being pushed on me by my pain management doctors, there are studies saying if they are not affective to not continue with them.
According to a study in the [url]July 3 issue of New England Journal of Medicine ESI’s were found to be of little benefit, with pain medications use on the decline thanks to the CDC, I can see an increase in ESI injections, while it may be true these ESI help some get relief, sometimes for months and with no ill effects, it is not true that they are always safe.
I follow many arachnoiditis groups and forums due to the fact I now have it from a surgery that went bad, there are countless people who did get arachnoiditis from ESI injections. I know whenever I had the ESI injections I was never warned of the possible complications (oral or written) from them, I was informed what to do with certain conditions following the injections.
The odds of attracting arachnoiditis due to an unskilled doctor or by not using fluoroscopy for this procedure, which does still happen, are high should any foreign substance enter the dural space or nick a nerve, in my opinion the warnings do needs to be stepped up and in writing, how can a patient make an informed decision when they are not aware of the risks or warning labels.
When I had a second spinal surgery I was informed of the risks, but not all the risks, arachnoiditis being the main one, ESI injections pure and simple are money makers for doctors, I had one ESI procedure done at the infamous Pacific Hospital of Long Beach, the lien on that one was like 14K, needless to say that lien was dismissed by the DWC.
https://www.ahrq.gov/news/newsroom/press-releases/2014/spinalpain.html

Very sorry for what you have been through.

I have yet to come across one patient who was advised of all of the risks of ESI and also that spinal epidurals are not FDA approved, and these products are being used off label. Informed consent is not just signing a form, the physician is supposed to ensure the patient has a full understanding of the risks as well as state when a device or product is being used off label. The fact that the FDA never approved spinal epidurals should be very telling, as their bar is very low.

APDU just sent out another warning letter. They are asking for physicians to ensure patients are receiving truly informed consent. I don't see why any patients, insurance companies or physicians would have an argument with this. Educating patients on possible harms from a procedure or medication should be a no brainer and basic right as a patient to ensure they make an informed decision.

https://medium.com/@patientdefenseunion ... 71128811e1

Depo Medrol has a ethylene glycol base, and why this particular product being used is being highlighted.
Patient Advocate for medical device safety and ethics. •Modern medicine offers important benefits, yet it also has the capacity to cause harm;•Those harms arise from three central failings: the overuse, underuse, and misuse of medical services.
4anewusers

Postby injured7825 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:13 am

Had I been properly informed originally I would have tried 1 injection, maybe 2 as most doctors tell their patients it sometimes take a series of injections before they start to work. One of the reasons I got a 3rd round of ESI injections is the WC doctor, in my case the AME (second opinion for spine surgery) Pre SB 863 who said I needed one before he would say surgery. Of course now all my doctors have said no to the injections thanks to the adhesive arachnoiditis.
Thanks for all the info you have posted 4anewuses, a bit late but thanks!
injured7825

Previous

Return to Legal