6 month threshold psyche claim (California)

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

6 month threshold psyche claim (California)

Postby Attyin909 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:45 am

Applicant worked 6 months between temp agency and then hired by the special employer as their employee. 3 months at each entity. Same people involved with the alleged stress against the applicant. Is there legal ground for applicant to overcome 6 month rule?
Attyin909

Re: 6 month threshold psyche claim (California)

Postby jpod on Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:54 am

Not sure; what entity was the claim filed against?

LC 3208 says:

(d) Notwithstanding any other provision of this division, no compensation shall be paid pursuant to this division for a psychiatric injury related to a claim against an employer unless the employee has been employed by that employer for at least six months.

Can it be said to be the same employer? It is a general/special employment for sure but coverage follows revenue/payroll so unsure how you can make the temp agency's insurer liable. Perhaps this would be a contribution issue. And perhaps the contract between the employer and the agency has a clause requiring Agency to indemnify - but again that would only be through the time the temp was on the agency payroll.

I think there is case law that says the 6 month requirement does not necessarily have to be met prior to the filing of the claim, so post filing employment can reach the 6 months if my memory is correct.
jpod

Postby LawAdvocate on Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:45 am

From the Applicant side, I agree you argue that essentially it is the same employee given who had actual control and benefit of the work. It is worth a shot.
LawAdvocate

Re: 6 month threshold psyche claim (California) (California)

Postby Attyin909 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:04 am

LawAdvocate wrote:From the Applicant side, I agree you argue that essentially it is the same employee given who had actual control and benefit of the work. It is worth a shot.

I am thinking about filing the CT against both the temp agency and the special who became her actual employer

The same people were involved in the stress and harassment

I couldn't find any case law on this issue but I thought I heard something a few years back
Attyin909

Postby vampireinthenight on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:29 am

I cannot think of any cases on point but I would think under these facts you could likely add the employments periods together. Listing both as defendants is probably a safe move.
vampireinthenight

Return to Legal