Obtaining old WCAB records (California) (California)

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

Obtaining old WCAB records (California) (California)

Postby lyounglaw on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:09 pm

My client had some previous WC injuries but she can't find the settlement paperwork. Is there a way to obtain just the settlement records from the WCAB without a subpoena? In civil cases, you can order a specific document online for a price, so I thought I would see if anyone has had any experience like that with the WCAB.

Thank you, Laura
lyounglaw

Re: Obtaining old WCAB records (California) (California) (Califo

Postby 50Cal20 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:10 pm

I would often order just the settlement documents and I would receive them too. It's easy. Just tell the copy service that all you want are the settlement docs.

However, once the defendants discover the existence of past awards and/or settlements, they will of course order all the records contained in the board's files, including medicals, to determine if apportionment is in order and possibly to challenge current injury AOE/COE depending on the circumstances of the case.
50Cal20

Re: Obtaining old WCAB records (California) (California)

Postby lyounglaw on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:49 pm

That's what I thought - but I was hoping the WCAB had gotten docs online like the civil courts. The defense can see that there are other cases and settlements by looking at EAMS but I guess they aren't interested in paying for them.

Now I'll have to decide which way to go. Thanks.
lyounglaw

Return to Legal