Marriot Claims Services (California)

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

Marriot Claims Services (California)

Postby spreare on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:28 am

Was wondering if anyone had experience with this outfit? Every case I get with them as a lien claimant has to go to trial b/c as far as I am informed by my collecter they have standing orders not to settlem liens outside the trial setting. are there any other claims administrators that do that? thanks!
spreare

Re: Marriot Claims Services (California)

Postby jonbrissman on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:55 pm

I have settled dozens of liens with Marriott Claims Service through interaction with their counsel. I most often deal with Wilson, Pesota & Fox on these claims; WP&F are experienced, competent, pleasant attorneys. None of the cases required going forward with a lien trial. I do not recall dealing with the MCS adjuster directly on any claim.

If you can get an adjuster to admit in writing to standing orders to litigate all liens, that would be grounds for sanctions and referrals to the Audit Unit and the Dept. of Insurance. I am skeptical that such standing orders exist within any claims administrator's office.

JCB
jonbrissman

Postby spreare on Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:10 am

Ok, I appreciate your feedback, perhaps that is just our experience with the few claims -- they won't budge with a settlement above 10%. My collecter states they wouldn't budge and had to trial a transportation bill, and my chiro bills (no thomas) will not be paid above 10% and my collecter assumes a trial would be necessary (on a mere $600 bill).
spreare

Postby rider001 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:09 am

I agree with JonBriss. Go to trial and tell the judge that the defense has no authority and is wasting your time and the courts time. See what kind of money they come up with then.
rider001

Postby spreare on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:45 pm

Well there is a happy ending to one of the cases they stomped their feet in the sand on. They just lost in a lien trial full amt requested by lien claimant. Makes me wonder, all those times CA refuses to reasonably negotiate lien prior to trial they if they are actually shooting themselves in the foot.
spreare

Return to Legal