QME assignment backlog thread (California)

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

Re: QME assignment backlog thread (California)

Postby jobmdpsych on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Wow. Thanks for that. Sounds like the problem is not money after all. That's why I started this thread, it is very hard to find out what's going on.
jobmdpsych

Postby vampireinthenight on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:43 am

Why don't they just make all represented applicants and defendants request a panel through an online website? No paper, no deafening noise, no input of information by personnel. All basic information could be entered by the parties. It would require virtually no labor at all.
vampireinthenight

Re: QME assignment backlog thread (California) (California) (Cal

Postby appliedpsych on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:47 am

Here is some recent info on this subject, gathered from a Panel QME in psychology scheduled today, 04/24/2013. Information provided to my office by the scheduling attorney office.

Panel QME Request Made on: 09/20/2012
Date Listed on Panel QME Sheet: 02/11/2013
Date of Postmark on Panel QME Sheet Envelope: 02/25/2013
Date Striking Process Completed amongst the parties: 04/19/2013
Date Panel QME Appointment Made : 04/24/2013

DOI on this case was 1/11/2010

The scheduler also said that their office has been told by DWC that there are not enough psychology QMEs to handle the incoming workload, and that this is leading to a delay in providing the panels and that the delay may increase from 8 months to a year. That latter point does not ring true with me, as the total number of QME’s I have been offered so far this year has dipped below last years total numbers to date, but that is what we were told by that office. This might also seem to imply that DWC is employing some method other than simple random selection to allocate QME’s, such as a holding up a QME from another QME selection until a certain timeframe has passed? Pure conjecture, but just trying to figure out a complex problem.

Perhaps this is an unintended consequence of cutting the number of QME offices?

IDK but there you have a fairly recent piece of intel on this issue.
Last edited by appliedpsych on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
appliedpsych

Postby jobmdpsych on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

Vampire you are absolutely right. And the software problem is not difficult. This all should have been automated years ago.

I have been told that the number of requests is way up because a number have carriers have simply made it their policy not to use AMEs. Any verification of this?

I'm wondering if this was first due to all the QME location reassignments, then aggravated by the IMR fiasco.
jobmdpsych

Postby jobmdpsych on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:58 pm

About those noise levels: Bose and Sony have noise canceling headphones for about 300 bucks (assuming this is true). In the meantime IWs are suffering in TD (or no money because it expired) purgatory waiting to get their claims settled.
jobmdpsych

Postby suekarp on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:41 am

I wonder why the DWC won't consider accepting requests for PQMEs by email? It would certainly lessen the noise issue without having to spend $300 per person for noise cancelling headphones.
suekarp

Postby vampireinthenight on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:42 am

It would have to be via a secure website, not email. Of course, that does not mean that it is not easily done. All of the excuses above are simply not logical. Every large agency and corporation have mail rooms and learned to process bulk mail a hundred years ago.

If there are not enough psyche QMEs in a given area, the unit expands the radius of the search until they get 7 QMEs in which to randomly pick 3. They do not just sit around and wait until there are more QMEs. If they do, that is just stupid.

I can go online and order anything in the free world and have it on my doorstep in 3 days or less, yet ordering a random panel which requires no thought whatsoever takes 6 months?

Yet another example where robots should take over. There is nowhere in this process that really requires a human interaction. :(
vampireinthenight

Re: QME assignment backlog thread (California) (California) (Cal

Postby jobmdpsych on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:43 am

I am not buying the psych QME shortage. The psychologists who are out there are seeing their numbers way down. The requests are simply not being processed.

I agree Vampire, if they can't figure this out, call Citrix and set up a gotomypc type secure server. This is not rocket science in 2013, even I know how to do this. People are hurting and insult is being added to injury literally through these delays.
jobmdpsych

Re: QME assignment backlog thread (California) (California)

Postby appliedpsych on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:33 am

2nd QME scheduling call this week. Maybe logjam is breaking slowly?

According to Defense Office who set eval:

Date of QME Request: 11/13/2012
Date Listed on Panel QME as date mailed by DWC: 04/18/2013

The DOI is 11/9/2011

Thinking about last year, and looking at my Quickbooks, the year started out slowly, built in late spring, overwhelmed me in summer, and slowly trailed off to a more manageable level in latter part of year. Maybe the same pattern is setting up again.
appliedpsych

Postby appliedpsych on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:45 pm

I did a little ciphering using the Panel #'s from the two Panel QME's I was given this week.

Subtracting the Panel # that was listed on the QME Sheet dated 02/11/2013 from the Panel # that was listed on the QME Sheet dated 04/18/2013 it would appear that 20,019 Panels have been assigned during that time frame, if they use a consecutive numbering system, which I think they do, that seems to be a big number.

WOW.

No wonder the river is jammed!
appliedpsych

PreviousNext

Return to Legal