QME assignment backlog thread (California)

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

Re: QME assignment backlog thread (California)

Postby vampireinthenight on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:28 am

Just wait until IMR kicks in this summer; then you are going to see a real logjam.
vampireinthenight

Postby jobmdpsych on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:29 am

If that many applications were processed, why haven't we seen a flood of scheduling in the past two months? I don't know anyone who is reporting this.

If this is going to get worse after June, there needs to be emergency legislation stat. People are going to lose their jobs and IWs are going to run out of benefits.
jobmdpsych

Re: QME assignment backlog thread (California) (California)

Postby jobmdpsych on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:45 am

David D has an excellent article on his blog today about this.

Let's see, will they do the right thing in hiring a small firm who will solve this quickly or submit to lobbying pressure from a big firm who will overcharge for another EAMS?

I think the answer is sadly obvious.
jobmdpsych

Postby jobmdpsych on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:17 am

Upon further reflection, I am convinced that the QME system is hopelessly broken, and has become a tool of gamesmanship and somewhat of a joke for people in the know.

I think more money could be saved, better reports, faster resoluation by going back to dueling doctors, with heavy financial incentives to use an AME.
jobmdpsych

Postby jobmdpsych on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:57 am

Great article by Julius Young today:

http://www.workerscompzone.com/
jobmdpsych

Postby appliedpsych on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:46 pm

On a happier note for an unrepped IW we had a call from today, the date that QME was requested was 04/03/13 and it was issued on 04/25/13.

This may be a special case though as the worker told us that he had been represented but fired his attorney recently and is now Pro-Per. My office was told that the WCAB Judge on his 2006 DOI case has now assigned him a person to assist him in navigating his complex case with multiple QME types needed that his prior attorney had never set up. Apparently that special assistant helped him obtain and send in the QME paperwork, so it may have gotten some special handling per the Judge.

At least that is the story we were told.

Anyone ever heard of such a special helper ? - - - I cannot recall the title that he called the person that was assisting him at DWC.
appliedpsych

Postby suekarp on Wed May 01, 2013 6:13 am

Perhaps the "helper" is the Information and Assistance Officer.
suekarp

Postby compquest on Wed May 08, 2013 5:28 pm

Time for panel qme process on represented cases to be repealed.
compquest

Postby jobmdpsych on Wed May 08, 2013 7:51 pm

I totally agree. I understand that a rule was introduced several years ago to give a time limit on repped assignments but was rejected.

The system is totally broke for all involved and emergency measures have to be taken.
jobmdpsych

Previous

Return to Legal