Revolving Fund and Furloughs (California)

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

Revolving Fund and Furloughs (California)

Postby davidd on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:12 am

I have a not very well written editorial posted on the main site: http://www.workcompcentral.com/signup/news/index.php?fa=column&article_id=e9dfac4afd1edf29ef64dabf913ca857g.

In a nutshell, here is what has my dander up - The WCAB has no ties now to the General Fund. It is completely "user funded" through a tax on employer's premiums - last time I checked my renewal notice that tax was 1.3583% of premium (which by the way was increased 22% from the year before but no one seemed to care - but if you raise any other tax 22% in one year folks would be rioting in the streets - we're so damned apathetic....).

So the Governor has ordered work furloughs 2 days a month, and this applies to all agencies regardless of funding which means that despite the fact that the employers in the state, which are the only ones paying for the services of a specific agency, are being cheated. In any other private business context people would be very upset - but in our apathetic society (where only 18% of the voting population in general even bothers to cast a ballot - sheesh) no one gives a rat's arse.

Put another way, given 22 business days a month, the loss of 2 is a reduction in services of 9%. Since the user fee budget is $195 million that means that the public is being cheated out of $17.55 million in services. That's twice what the Administration has determined would fund the next phase of EAMS!

As I mention in my editorial, the state Constitution, Article 14, section 4 guarantees "an administrative body with all the requisite governmental functions to determine any dispute or matter arising under such legislation, to the end that the administration of such legislation shall accomplish substantial justice in all cases expeditiously, inexpensively, and without encumbrance of any character". The Constitution doesn't mention the encumbrance of an unjustified degradation of service level...

You would think that folks would be upset at the trampling of our constitutional rights, but just like the Bush Administrations usurping of the nation's constitutional rights after 09/11 (and the continuing degradation of our national constitutional rights - see e.g. TSA, TRIA, PATRIOT Act, etc.), no one says a word. Those that do are labeled "alarmist" or "extremist."

Call me either - I don't care. We're such a nation of fat, lazy and apathetic people (see voter participation level above) - we will all get what we deserve.

I'm tired of government walking all over us - this is supposed to be a government of the people for the people. But we have turned into a nation where government is of a couple of people against all the rest of the people.

So how about it people? Are you upset? Do you care? What would YOU do?
davidd
Site Admin

Re: Revolving Fund and Furloughs (California)

Postby feelin it on Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Absolutely, We are like cattle on are way to the slaughterhouse just following the cow in front of us never minding to watch the seen unfolding right in front of us--feelin it

I can't wait to move out of cali. forever!!!!!!!!!
feelin it

Re: Revolving Fund and Furloughs (California) (California)

Postby art... on Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:09 am

davidd,

I wanted to respond to your May 30th Column: Work Furlough Violates the Rights of Everyone the morning it was posted but I was experiencing sub-par cognitive performance and it deserved better commentary than I could muster right then. (BTW: To those here I owe email replies I also plead the above sub-par cognitive performance...Sorry.)

As preamble to my personal thoughts I'm going to quote from a famous, country-founding preamble or two.

The Preamble to the Declaration of Independence reads:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. (Emp. added.)

It seems Jefferson saw and anticipated the 'Electorial Ennui' that lays at the core of both of your recent editorials when he noted: ...and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves.

In its simplest sense that verbage seems to cover both the attribute of not acting rashly while acknowledging a certain reticence (even sloth) among the electorate. Shrewd choice of words/phrasing. But, in the end, the wholesale rejection of the Bush Agenda and the election of a new President 180° from the old did in effect "throw off such Government" but w/o the extreme of action by the populace anticipated by Jefferson.

But Jefferson knew his classical history (Bread and Circuses as both palliative reward and distraction) as well as the then intrusive distractions affecting his contemporaries. What would he think of the value rec'd from distractions such as pro sports, NASCAR, "America's Favorite/Next/Best"–Singer/Dancer/Model/Vacuous celeb of the day" upon whom so much of the collective consciousness is spent at the expense of the 'Real' issues.

Newspapers/"Journalists" are dying (Dead actually, they're just not done falling over yet.), mainstream TV news is shallow " human-interest and infotainment" at best. Thanks to deregulation and corporate merger/consolidation it's self-serving and self-protective. Why report on the plight of people suffering under physical/economic adversity created by the corporations parent to their media subsidiaries?

Once upon a time newspapers were owned by independent entities who if fighting-the-good-fight for the average Joe also saw their circulation increase and thus had both financial and altruistic motives. Now, the "Media" is just a part of Global-Mega-Corp. Talking heads and "Bubble headed bleach blonds" droning on about insignificance as if it was news.

Lincoln, in his Gettysburg Address said in part "...that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government : of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

Lobbyists, corporate agendas, special interests and politicians dancing to their tune long ago usurped "...government : of the people, by the people, for the people..."

I hate to quote myself but the below is from a post of mine from two years ago.

<Cynicism Alert>

We the corporations of the United States, in order to form more profitable margins, establish monopolies, insure domestic political control, provide for the common defense industry, promote the corporate welfare, and secure the financial blessings of dividends to ourselves and our off-shore trust-funds, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

<End Cynicism Alert>

It's from the following thread. Note what Jpod and 7day were saying about AIG even then. Given the recent events it now appears they got us coming and going. (Wish I'd bought stock in K-Y Jelly...)

http://workcompforums.com/ca/pro/messag ... order%20to

Everyones been so screwed by the Big Guys for so long they know it's futile, don't care anymore and know that "The Media" is of no help since anymore they're just entertainment conglomerates dangling shiny things with catchy names. Yeah there's the internet and bloggers and "The New Democracy", but they're neutered by being Balkanized and uncredentialed. A tempest in a tea cup.

So davidd, that's my take. Absent a person or event so compelling that the disaffected masses find a common rallying point or champion, apathy will win out by default. Gotta' run, WWF is coming on...

Enjoy the attachment...
art-gop-fascism-poster.jpg
art-gop-fascism-poster.jpg (191.23 KiB) Viewed 793 times

BTW: Up until this past administration I was opposed to partisan politics per se but they so trampled upon every core value of this country and its foundation that they've lost all credibility and their self-administered accolades of "Patriotism" are the height of self-delusional hypocracy.
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before."---Dwight D. Eisenhower
art...

Re: Revolving Fund and Furloughs

Postby davidd on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:15 am

Art - all too accurate.

I think you would enjoy Jesse Ventura's latest book, "Don't Start the Revolution Without Me."

The story sucks, it has all the literary quality of a 5th grader's term paper, and there are more spelling and grammar errors than a class full of English-as-a-second-language students - BUT his core message rings true to those of us who have an independent streak and don't like the path this nation is on (or has been on), even with Obama behind the wheel (he will steer the ship, max, 8 years - it's the folks in the engine room that are the lifers and who really control the ship).
davidd
Site Admin

Return to Legal