an alternative to EAMS (California) (California)

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

an alternative to EAMS (California) (California)

Postby TC on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:16 am

The WorkCompCentral news item dated 06/05/09 entitled
'Paperless' EAMS will Continue to Run on Paper for Now
indictes:
The latest “Special Project Report” for EAMS, obtained through a public records request by WorkCompCentral, states that it would cost $30 million to $60 million to buy 9,000 to 29,000 additional licenses from Curam Software (at a cost of $1,212 each) to expand access to EAMS and purchase an additional 115 servers to handle the increased flow of data over the Internet. That's on top of the $51 million already budgeted for the project.

Does anyone have the courage to say “STOP”!?

The State has spent $51 million and plans to spend an additional $31 to 60 million on EAMS, which many (AAs, DAs, WCJs & DWC staffers) believe is a flawed program.

If you had a car, and the price of repair exceeded the value of the car, would it be repaired? No, the car would be replaced. In my opinion, it would be a prudent to consider spending the additional $31 to 60 million on a replacement to EAMS.
TC

Re: an alternative to EAMS (California) (California) (California

Postby stevepsca on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:32 pm

I agree with your thought process here... and that of davidd in his post...

I am wondering if the 2 of you could get together and suggest the 30M to 60M be used to supplement the WCAB budget and cancel the furlough days...(?) I think the extra man hours are obviously necessary to get EAMS up to speed...

Arnold should be recalled on pretty much the same basis as the accusations he levied against Davis...namely mismanagement of the state of Calif. (oops... isn't a special election about 30M/60M... where would we get that money?)
I would say no incumbent should be sent back to Sacramento next time 'round, but then to know what you have, is often preferable to not knowing what you'd get in exchange.
Does anyone have the courage to say “STOP”!?
Who do we call ?
stevepsca

Re: an alternative to EAMS (California) (California)

Postby TC on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:33 pm

California State Senate - Labor and Industrial Relations Committee
http://www.senate.ca.gov/ftp/sen/committee/STANDING/LABOR/_home1/PROFILE.HTM

California State Assembly - Insurance Committee
http://www.assembly.ca.gov/acs/newcomframeset.asp?committee=14
TC

Postby steelmanlaw on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:43 pm

Why don't some enterprising* parties use the Labor Code to go outside of EAMS? Once jurisdiction is established over a claim, §5275(b) provides that "[b]y agreement of the parties, any issue that arises under Division 1 . . . or Division 4. . . may be submitted for arbitration, regardless of date of injury." The trick here is jurisdication as we are not typically in an ADR situation which carves out jurisdiction for employer/union agreements from exclusive remedy of the Labor Code-created Board. This could effect a short-term fix for parties who can't wait but can agree to arbitration, and while Sacramento wakes up and smells the off-shore oil spills which could be sopped up with all those OCR forms!

At the end, the parties can still resort to the WCAB panel for reconsideration issues. At that point, EAMS is not such a problem.

"Have Bar Card, Will Arbitrate" - wire Paladin, San Francisco

* @ $350/hour, enterprising could be effective for the arbitrator as well.
steelmanlaw

Postby steelmanlaw on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:51 pm

correction: jurisdication = jurisdiction!
steelmanlaw

Postby jpod on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:52 am

I do not agree with the analogy about a car and a car repair at all.

I am not defending EAMS, or its roll out, or the selction of the software and software vendor either.

But it was known at the outset that the "car" would only come with seats for 200. It was always known that additional seats would cost more and the car would have to be "repaired" so more peopel could sit in the car. So this is not an unforseen repair, but rather the second step in the roll out of the system. A car that seats 200 is worth something; adding 20,000 seats to that car increases the value, and of course the cost, of the car.

This is a common way that enterprise software is sold and marketed. SAP is the same and I beleieve most of Oracle's products are sold in the same manner.

Now are we saving paper with EAMS? No, we are burning thru paper at an unbeleievable rate.
jpod

Postby jobmdpsych on Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:36 am

I suggest we just chop down the Lassen National Forest, and throw millions of dollars into the volcano. Some result cutting out the middleman. Separator sheets indeed.

Or find a 15 year old who knows how to use gotomypc.com, pay him 2 thousand dollars to set up a system to send Word or readable only PDF files into a central FTP server. I figure it might take about a month to set up and about an hour of training for each doctor and lawyer to use.

EAMS is a complete failure that needs to be trashed. It is inconceivable that something so inept could be implemented in 2009. This is an insult to all of us forced to use it, not to mention the stressed California taxpayer who has to foot the bill for this travesty.
jobmdpsych

Postby steelmanlaw on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:33 pm

jobmdpsych is on to something here. Almost everyone has access to Word and PDF technology; and a scanned doc transmittal system to a central server, as opposed to email and web-based transmittals, would obviate most if not all internet security issues.

Necessity is the Mother.
steelmanlaw

Postby jobmdpsych on Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:28 pm

No scanning necessary. It should never go to paper. Electronic signatures, encryption over secure FTP to central server. End of story. I heard at an AA meeting of 12 months of paper waiting to be scanned at the Boards, and exasperated judges and clerks. We could do a thousand times better for a thousand times less money.

As far as the backlog, once this is in place, you could pay the doc's office 5-10 bucks a report for the old stuff to convert the original (they were all originally Word, Word Perfect or similar files) to read only pdf, and send them in batches, HIPAA compliant encrypted. Again, no paper intermediary.

EAMS could be a comedy sketch in the movie Idiocracy if it weren't such an unnecessary hassle to deal with.

Somewhere there is a tree crying in a forest knowing one day it will become a stack of separator sheets.
jobmdpsych

Postby steelmanlaw on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:23 pm

yeah; separator sheets that will be thrown out by the court reporter in MDR who doesn't need them.
steelmanlaw

Next

Return to Legal