Need workers comp info for my multi-state non-profit (Califo

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

Need workers comp info for my multi-state non-profit (Califo

Postby thetallnathan on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:47 am

Hello folks,

I'm looking for information about what kind of workers comp coverage is necessary for my California 501(c)3 non-profit company that produces a radio news program.

Here's the story: Our company has 11 regular employees based in the United States - 5 FT, 6 PT. We are scattered across Florida, Virginia, Illinois, Wisconsin, California, Oregon, and Washington DC. No state has a majority of our employees.

The work is very low risk in terms of the hazard scale - general office and computer work predominantly. Most of our employees work from home-based offices, though a few are in radio station studios that provide us with space for free.

If there are any states that make exceptions for non-manual labor among non-profit workers (as I think NY does), we have several employees who would qualify as being engaged in non-manual labor.

So I'm looking for the following info:
-- What rules govern us? Each of these states, federal, or both?
-- Related to above, what are some resources to find out more about who is required to be covered by workers comp?
-- Anyone have good suggestions about good workers comp insurance providers for multi-state situations like ours?
-- If we have very short-term fill-in staff based in other states not listed above, what does that add to our needs for workers comp carriage?

Thanks for any and all assistance!

~Nathan
thetallnathan

Re: Need workers comp info for my multi-state non-profit (Califo

Postby steve appell on Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:13 am

Hi Nathan:
You question may be better suited in the "broker/agent" section, and I only have knowlege of Calif law. Nevertheless, here are my red responses to your quoted questions:

What rules govern us? Each of these states, federal, or both?

If the employment contract was consumated in Calif, Calif has jurisdiction
-- Related to above, what are some resources to find out more about who is required to be covered by workers comp?

Calif requires all employees be covered
-- Anyone have good suggestions about good workers comp insurance providers for multi-state situations like ours?

Since you only have 11 employees, the State Ccompensation Insurance Fund may be the only company willing to cover you.
-- If we have very short-term fill-in staff based in other states not listed above, what does that add to our needs for workers comp carriage?

All employees must be covered regardless of status.

GOOD LUCK!
Steve

appellandassociates.com
6311 Van Nuys Bl #480
Van Nuys, Ca 91401
wcexaminer@aol.com

Check out 'WORK COMP MATTERS" Free PODCAST below
https://www.workcompcentral.com/educati ... ype=online
steve appell

Return to Legal