Nutritionist for wt loss before surgery (California)

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

Nutritionist for wt loss before surgery (California)

Postby lyounglaw on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:37 am

I am having a heck of a time finding a nutritionist to act as a consultant on a case. The injured worker will likely require spine surgery but he needs to lose weight first. A nutritionist consult has been recommended by the AME and the PTP, but they don't have any specific suggestions for one either. So far the parties haven't been able to find anyone. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Laura
lyounglaw

Re: Nutritionist for wt loss before surgery (California)

Postby postscript2 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:55 am

You could try to agree to a Nurse case manager who could recommend and oversee the entire process. That's what I would do.

Also try posting on the medical site.

Good luck!

LCS ;)
postscript2

Re: Nutritionist for wt loss before surgery (California) (Califo

Postby stevepsca on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:24 am

I am having a heck of a time finding a nutritionist to act as a consultant on a case.
Have you considered a hospital nutritionist... ALL hospitals offering meal service have these on staff.
There could also be something available in the MPN...(?) Possibly through a physican office treating diabetes... or renal/kindny issues. Those conditions are often treated though diet control.

So far the parties haven't been able to find anyone

Will the parties agree to 'Jenny Craig"... or the like. ? Some of those programs have actual "RNs'' overseeing the programs.

Always the route of last resort... let your fingers do the walking...''Yellow Page Rd''...

SCIF's MPN/''Home Health'' providers search turned up 196 First up is...

UCLA MEDICAL CENTER HOME HEALTH 1010 Veteran Ave Ste 2212
Los Angeles, CA 90095
(310) 794-1400

Not a 'bad place' to start...http://www.scif.com/MPN/MPNsearch.html
stevepsca

Postby art... on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:07 pm

Faced a similar situation. Had to go to court to force IC to comply with request. Judge ordered "medically supervised" program. Lindora was least expensive option to meet that criteria. WW and JC don't.

Good Luck...
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before."---Dwight D. Eisenhower
art...

Postby samcat on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:11 am

This post is not being written as either defense or applicant advocate, but as someone who has been obese during my entire adult life.
I have been through every weight loss program from the most expensive (a month at the Duke Diet and Fitness Center), to the weirdest (Shick, where they forced you to eat your trigger foods while giving you electric shocks) and everything in between.
It is not the cost of the plan, or having a nutritionist that has anything to do with sucess or failure.
What is important is motivation and support.
The motivation has to come from within.
My favorite joke in this regard is;
How many nutritionists does it take to change a light bulb?
None, but the light bulb has really got to want to change.
I'm not knocking the use of nutritionists, they can be very effective, in particular in regard to support.
But, absent the injured worker suffering from a major metabolic disorder, any diet program will work that uses a combination of eating less and exercise.
I'm not knocking nutritionists, but if the claims adminstrator is resisting, you are doing your client a huge diservice by going to war on that point instead of getting him some form of support. This could be as simple as encouraging him/her to go to Overeaters Anonymous that costs nothing or to Weight Watchers that costs $15/mon.

samcat(the fatcat :x )
samcat

Postby chirple on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:47 am

Lindora is the weight loss progam of choice in Southern California.

If the worker is a Kaiser member, or you have Kaiser MPN access, Kaiser has great preventative medical department weight loss programs, including one that is a prerequisit for weight loss surgery, which Kaiser also does.
chirple

Return to Legal