Coming and Going Rule (California)

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

Coming and Going Rule (California)

Postby mwu@atblaw.net on Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:47 pm

I have read the multitude of cases regarding the Coming and Going rule, however, unless I missed something I don't see anything regarding an injury just before an applicant clocks in to work or just after clocking out from work. Assuming the injury before/ after work occurred just outside the premises in an area that is not controlled by the employer - would the injury be AOE/COE? Thanks.
mwu@atblaw.net

Re: Coming and Going Rule (California)

Postby jakelast@aol.com on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:14 pm

For the most part the answer is no, this activity would not be in the course and scope of employment. However one has to be careful as there are a couple of "left turn" cases where the employment was considered to have "influenced" the employee's activity and compensability was found. You also have to make certain that none of the execptions to the going and coming rule apply such that applicant's employemnt situtation did not begin with the commute.
Jake Jacobsmeyer
Shaw, Jacobsmeyer, Crain & Claffey
jakelast@aol.com

Re: Coming and Going Rule (California)

Postby mwu@atblaw.net on Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:55 am

Thanks Jake! Always appreciate your input.
mwu@atblaw.net

Return to Legal