Necessity of Functional Capacity Evaluation? (California)

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

Necessity of Functional Capacity Evaluation? (California)

Postby 1wayout on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Applicant was injured while working for the employer as a retail sales clerk. After he became P&S, he secured a job with another company as a warehouseman, doing somewhat arduous work. The injury is to the applicant's back and it is largely resolved with only minor impairment.

Applicant's counsel is now demanding a Functional Capacity evaluation, presumably to override what the Orthopedic PQME's determinations. Orthopedic PQME said he's be willing to look at a FCE, but did not give reasons why it would be necessary.

Is the defense required to provide the applicant with an FCE? What are the bases for an FCE?
1wayout

Re: Necessity of Functional Capacity Evaluation? (California)

Postby 50Cal20 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:34 pm

Like any other medical test, it requires a doctor's request, not a lawyer's. It also requires and RFA and an explanation of why the test is necessary. Then it has to be run through UR for approval before anything is done.
50Cal20

Postby jpod on Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:52 am

While I am not arguing for either side it seems to me the counter argument is the FCE is not treatment but rather it might be Medical-legal.

If its not treatment I don't think UR is the right place to resolve the necessity for the test. I think the PQME should be asked if the PQME thinks the test is necessary for the PQME to form his/her opinion.
jpod

Postby vampireinthenight on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:34 am

Agree with jpod. Until the QME says it is necessary, then... it's not necessary and shouldn't be compelled. How would the AMA Guides rating be affected by a FCE?
vampireinthenight

Postby 1wayout on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:43 am

Thanks for the replies. I think the FCE will be the potential basis for an Almaraz/Guzman analysis. Who sets the appointment with the FCE company? I.e., can app atty insist on his personally selected FCE testing/assessment company to do the evaluation?
1wayout

Postby LawAdvocate on Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:44 pm

FCEs require prior authorization number 1.

Number 2 - MTUS requires a FAILED return to work effort prior to an FCE being medically reasonable and necessary.

So unless the PQME can establish the medical necessity of it, no way.
LawAdvocate

Return to Legal