Informal Rater testimony (California)

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

Informal Rater testimony (California)

Postby wcscout on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:23 pm

Is there anything governing a "professional rater" testifying at Trial?
wcscout

Re: Informal Rater testimony (California)

Postby LawAdvocate on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Just usual practice, the only rating that counts is the DEU rating. If you disagree with the final DEU rating, then your sole recourse is to cross-ex the rater.

Professional raters should be used to assist with writing your cross-ex questions, imho. Anything out of a professional rater's mouth is basically argument and is not legally binding, so that may be the reason I have never seen one testify.
LawAdvocate

Re: Informal Rater testimony (California) (California)

Postby steve appell on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:19 pm

"A Professional Rater" testifying at trial is neither relevant nor substantial evidence. This is why it has never happened before. Follow LAD advise and Cross X the doc to change the rating. Otherwise, the rating instructions are solely up to the WCJ.

LATE
Steve

appellandassociates.com
6311 Van Nuys Bl #480
Van Nuys, Ca 91401
wcexaminer@aol.com

Check out 'WORK COMP MATTERS" Free PODCAST below
https://www.workcompcentral.com/educati ... ype=online
steve appell

Postby lacompfun on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:14 pm

Not for testimony at trial.

However they can be very helpful on settlement. Also it could be filed and the Judge might look at it. It is not legally binding.
lacompfun

Postby vampireinthenight on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:40 am

It may not be binding and I am not in the habit of using rater testimony, but I think it can help in a complex case, especially when there are overlap concerns. DEU raters are far from infallible and even though you can expose errors on cross-ex, human nature does not allow some of them to admit they made a mistake or misinterpreted rating doctrine. Competing testimony can help drive it home.

A former DEU rater can be persuasive and might know more of the DEU historical practices than a new younger rater currently with the DEU. Let say you have a rating issue under the 1998 PDRS, do you want to limit the record to a cross-ex of a rater who didn't begin rating until 2014? Or would you rather have a competing opinion that is more persuasive and makes more sense?

To that end, I think it can be relevant and the "substantiality" of it really just depends on the quality of whom you choose.
vampireinthenight

Return to Legal