UEF PQME (California)

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

UEF PQME (California)

Postby spreare on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:52 pm

I performed a PQME in June of '16 and UEF still will not pay me. Their position is that they were not a party to the PQME process. Do I need to pay the $150 lien filing fee?
spreare

Re: UEF PQME (California) (California)

Postby appliedpsych on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:54 pm

That adds to the increasing oddity of working as a QME. I probably had 3 or 4 UEF cases, in the past, but none in over a decade, so perhaps the rules changed. These QME appointments were all set by the UEF, and I was told to bill them directly, and they always paid promptly. Not sure what to make of your situation. Did the UEF set the appointment?
appliedpsych

Re: UEF PQME (California)

Postby spreare on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 pm

Actually the AA and ER hired attorney got me from a panel list. There is a panel #. I guess each struck a name, or they just agreed to use my name from the list. But as far as that part went, the UEF wasn't involved in that. The UEF is enjoined and there is a UEF adjuster and the case is proceeding along with an MSC date. But the adjuster will not pay me. She answered my e-mails and several months ago told me that I might have to collect directly from the ER. I presume however if the UEF is enjoined I Should be paid. Not sure why they will not pay me.
spreare

Postby steve appell on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:25 am

The answer is "NO."
You can file a "Petition for Determination of non IBR medical legal dispute" which does not require a lien or a lien fee. See Rule & Reg 10451.1

LATE
Steve

appellandassociates.com
6311 Van Nuys Bl #480
Van Nuys, Ca 91401
wcexaminer@aol.com

Check out 'WORK COMP MATTERS" Free PODCAST below
https://www.workcompcentral.com/educati ... ype=online
steve appell

Postby LawAdvocate on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:32 am

Second the motion that UEF has to pay. It is there duty to collect from the employer - I cannot find a reg or case law to the contrary to support non-payment. Second the motion to file a non-IBR Petition with costs and sanctions as well.
LawAdvocate

Postby spreare on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:50 am

Okay but UEF pays at the end right? After the C&F is resolved? Or should I petition prior?
spreare

Re: UEF PQME (California) (California)

Postby steve appell on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:45 am

You petition now..... & BTW .... I meant "NO" to the lien & lien fee, and I agree UEBTF is responsible for payment
Steve

appellandassociates.com
6311 Van Nuys Bl #480
Van Nuys, Ca 91401
wcexaminer@aol.com

Check out 'WORK COMP MATTERS" Free PODCAST below
https://www.workcompcentral.com/educati ... ype=online
steve appell

Postby LawAdvocate on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:52 am

Again, second that you file your petition now, you do not wait. That is pure bologna. Whoever is telling you that at UEF was born at night, like last night - when someone tells you something like that you ask them what code they are relying on - because UEF stands in the shoes of the employer and pays all benefits, costs and medical-legal discovery costs, etc.
LawAdvocate

Postby spreare on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:37 pm

LA, my experience with UEF has not been as you describe, even as the PQME. The adjuster is being recalcitrant. But I will be filing that petition.
spreare

Postby LawAdvocate on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:01 pm

I find UEF Adjusters to be woefully under educated and unable to cite the law they should be following.
LawAdvocate

Next

Return to Legal