Lack of records (California) (California)

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

Lack of records (California) (California)

Postby cmunday on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:23 pm

Okay I fully acknowledge this is a bit of a rant out of frustration. AME scheduled 8 months prior, patient shows up on time. I not only have no medical records but also have no cover letter from either party. I try to be responsible. Attorneys complain about the wait for quality AMEs. I don't want to make the poor patient wait another 6-12 months. So I do the best I can knowing that there may well be need for followup because I'm unaware of some significant issue.

Any suggestions from the attorneys or claims folks? I try to never badmouth the system or those in it - just my ethic. I wouldn't want to tell the IW his attorney never even bothered to tell me why I was seeing him. Is it an overstatement to say this borders on legal malpractice? And it should be noted that my office has documented several inquiries to the parties asking for records and cover letters. What else can be done on our end? We are all aware (I think) that the system we are in has its shortcomings. That however is no excuse for scheduling an agreed examination 8 months out and never even getting a cover letter to the evaluating Dr.

I am also not one to report people nor do I have any desire to get anyone into trouble. I just can't understand this lack of responsibility.

Thanks for indulging my rant.
cmunday

Return to Legal