Causation as a complexity factor when not asked to address c

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

Causation as a complexity factor when not asked to address c

Postby mk61347 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:57 am

I have a psych tech that was attacked at work. Did not ask me to address causation. Dont I have to address causation to assess in my opinion if anxiety is a consequence of physical injuries or a result of the psychological trauma from the patient attack.
mk61347

Re: Causation as a complexity factor when not asked to address c

Postby mk61347 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:00 am

Don't I need to address causation to discuss residual impairment
mk61347

Postby LawAdvocate on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:57 am

Yes, this was a violent act, so automatic direct psyche is expected when you are attacked. You have to determine if it is a reaction to the physical injuries or a reaction to being attacked.
LawAdvocate

Postby vampireinthenight on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:17 am

Yeah, use the info at hand to decide. Usually for a treater the discussion is pretty short since they don't have all the facts or medicals.

Not sure what stage of the case you are in but, if it is an accepted case then the causation of injury discussion might not be needed. You talk about residual impairment so maybe more of an apportionment discussion.
vampireinthenight

Postby mk61347 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:23 am

This is a qme exam and not treatment.
mk61347

Postby vampireinthenight on Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:18 am

Did the IC tell you if it is an accepted claim or not?
vampireinthenight

Postby mk61347 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:55 am

The claim is accepted as a consequence of a physical injury. In my opinion the cause of the psych injury is not the physical injury. The physical injuries were minor and resolved in a week. The psych injury was a result of the emotional trauma of being attacked and knocked to the ground from a punch. If I do not address causation there is no residual impairment
mk61347

Postby vampireinthenight on Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:57 am

Ha, I see what the Defendant is trying to do there. I assume this is a post-1/1/13 case? I wonder what they based their acceptance on (ie the treater found it to be related to the physical injuries?).

The cleanest way would be to address causation and put it out there. But, I honestly don't know how that counts toward complexities and billing under the DWC and if you can count that as a factor.

What you could do is address it in the apportionment section and then let the parties follow up with you on injury questions. I hate to suggest that because it seems so inefficient.
vampireinthenight

Return to Legal