Ex Parte Rule in Treatment Consult Cases (California) (Calif

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

Ex Parte Rule in Treatment Consult Cases (California) (Calif

Postby appliedpsych on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:53 am

I know that when you are a QME or AME there is to be no ex-parte communication between doctor and the parties.

Does that same rule apply when you are simply serving as a consultant to another treatment provider, or where the IC adjustor or the defense or applicant attorney have asked for and received an authorization for a treatment related consult to be paid by the IC, such as performing a neuropsych consultation evaluation under the OMFS, not the MLFS?

No nefarious intent of course. I am just saying if the doctor does not have the records prior to the consultation appointment, can the doctor directly contact the IC or the Defense or Applicant attorney and ask for the missing records?
Last edited by appliedpsych on Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
appliedpsych

Re: Ex Parte Rule in Treatment Consult Cases (California) (Calif

Postby LawAdvocate on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:00 am

Anyone can communicate unilaterally with a treater and the treating physicians may unilaterally engage in contact with either the Defense or the Applicant.
LawAdvocate

Postby vampireinthenight on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:20 am

yep
vampireinthenight

Postby appliedpsych on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:55 am

Thank you guys, that is what I thought, but then a colleague said he did not think so, so I went to the experts on this board !! Thanks Again !!
appliedpsych

Return to Legal