What is Required for Non-attorney advocacy (California)

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

What is Required for Non-attorney advocacy (California)

Postby jpod on Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:35 pm

I am trying to locate the requirements for what is required to allow an insurer to disclose applicant medical information to a non-attorney advocate that wants to provide for nurse case management advocacy.
jpod

Re: What is Required for Non-attorney advocacy (California)

Postby vampireinthenight on Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:27 am

I'm kind of unclear about who you are referring to. Generally you need agency or releases.
vampireinthenight

Postby jpod on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:14 am

We got a call from a person claiming to be NCM for the applicant - was very unprofessional - screaming and yelling; when asked who she worked for we did not get a clear answer other than more ranting. The supervisor told her we would not release any info without a medical release and then asked me if more is needed such as nursing license number, letter from applicant authorizing etc.
jpod

Postby vampireinthenight on Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:46 pm

So, yeah, you would want a release and a letter. Sounds kind of sketchy. On top of that, it would be voluntary on your part. I can't think of anything that would compel you to comply with her request. I would tell the nurse I can send the medicals to the IW and she can get them from the IW.
vampireinthenight

Postby lacompfun on Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:30 pm

Careful on Patterson case on voluntarily allowing NCM....

NCM should be UR issue. Seems unique self procured NCM. If nurse she would have a license number.

HIPAA issues on disclosure of medicals to anyone but applicant , aa if in case or defense.
lacompfun

Return to Legal