Medical Billing questions (California)

This category is meant for discussion of technical legal issues in workers' compensation. If you are an injured worker, do not ask questions here. Go to the Injured Workers' forum.

Medical Billing questions (California)

Postby wayne-f@comcast.net on Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:13 pm

I hope you can help me answer a few basic general Work Comp billing questions.

1. What is the regulation/law for the time frame that insurance providers have to reply or reimburse an invoice?

2. Can an invoice to an insurance provider offer a discount if paid within a specific time frame (i.e. 30 days)?

3. Can an insurance provider be charged a penalty, late fee or interest on unpaid invoices?
wayne-f@comcast.net

Re: Medical Billing questions (California)

Postby jonbrissman on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:32 pm

Regarding invoices for medical treatment, see LC Section 4603.2 and 8 CCR Section 9792.5

Regarding invoices for medical-legal services, see LC Sect. 4622 and 8 CCR Sect. 9793 - 9795.

Parties are free to contract for payment at rates either below or above (good luck on that) the fee schedules. If a provider wants to offer a discount below the fee schedule for prompt payment, nothing prevents the offer.

Insurance companies, TPAs, and self-insured employers are supposed to self-impose the penalty, increase, and interest provisions of Sections 4603.2 and 4622. Payment of the underlying charges without self-imposition of additional statutory obligations are grounds for a complaint to the Audit Unit.

The medical provider should join CSIMS; he or she can learn much of the above from the association.

JCB
jonbrissman

Postby paduanow@yahoo.com on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:06 am

Jon,

What does CSIMS stand for?
paduanow@yahoo.com

Postby rider001 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:30 am

California Society of Industrial Medicine and Surgery
rider001

Return to Legal