Work Comp Index, 9th Ed. & eBook (California) (California) (

Post your classified advertising for goods and services and interact with customers. Please note - job ads not permitted in this forum and will be deleted. For job ads, please go to https://ww3.workcompcentral.com/Memberjobs/recentjobs/?status=unp.

Work Comp Index, 9th Ed. & eBook (California) (California) (

Postby stewshe on Fri May 18, 2012 6:31 pm

The 9th Ed. of my Work Comp Index, $149, which I previously estimated to be published approximately 5/16/12, is curently in transit from Michigan. Yellow Freight says it will be delivered to me in Clovis, CA on 5/22/12, but past experience tells me perhaps 5/23/12. I expect to ship all books ordered to date on 5/25/12.

The book has increased in size from 1,000 pages for the 8th Ed. to 1,088 pages. It has thousands of new and revised entries updating W/C case law in California as well as the various code sections, Rules & Regs which are constantly being revised and renumbered.

The Work Comp Index also refers to major W/C treatises such as Hanna, Herlick, CEB, Judge St. Clair's book (Calif. W/C Law and Practice), and Sullivan on Comp which I abbreviate "SOC" which is cited 430 times as a place to check for additional information. There are thousands of references to case law in the CCCs, CWCR and Lexis Noteworthy Panel Decisions which I abbreviate "LexisNPD".

In the past 20 years many people have suggested I publish an eBook version of my Index. I have been reluctant to do this, but my printer finally convinced me. The new Work Comp Index, 9th ed. eBook will be priced at $179 for a single user version. It will be compatible with many of the most common eBook platforms.

Additionally, ALL purchasers of my paperback book's 9th ed. will get a discount of $149.00 from the $179 price for the eBook!

This reduces the price of a copy of the eBook to only $30.00 for each paperback book purchased!

Additional copies will be $179 for the eBook alone. The $149 discount for each 9th ed. of the paperback book purchased will remain for the next few months and then I expect it will be reduced or eliminated.

The eBook will be available for purchase around 7/1/12 only online through ShelfWise, a subsidiary of my printer, Sheridan Books, Inc. at

http://shelfwise.directfrompublisher.com/

Purchasers of my 9th edition who want to order the eBook will need to first contact me for a "discount coupon" or code number to order the eBook. I will be sending all purchasers a letter explaining the process in more detail when the eBook is ready for distribution. Without the "discount coupon" or code number ShelfWise will insist on the full price of $179.

Please do not pay me directly for the eBook. Those purchases should go through ShelfWise. {If you have already paid me for the eBook, don't worry. I will work it out with ShelfWise.}

Next, I now have a PayPal account! Additionally, the Work Comp Index. 9th ed. pap.erback will be a Buy it Now item on eBay for $149 in 7 - 10 days, allowing credit card purchases.

Stew
James T. Stewart (stewshe@comcast.net)
stewshe

Re: Work Comp Index, 9th Ed. & eBook (California) (California) (

Postby stewshe on Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 pm

All,

My books arrived today from the printer. They're drop dead gorgeous! Fire engine red with gaudy gold lettering on the cover. It has a textured surface which is expected to stand up to wear better than the glossy cover from prior years which had a tendency to get scratched up.

I will (hopefully!) have all orders through 7 days ago shipped by this weekend.

Stew
stewshe

Postby stewshe on Fri May 25, 2012 5:50 am

Yesterday hundreds of books went to the post office for shipment to customers. The last of them will be going this morning. Customers should expect their books next Tuesday or Wednesday.

I still don't have any firm timeframe on the eBook. There was an estimate it should be ready well before 7/1. I'll post here as soon as it is and then follow up with letters to customers.

Payment should not be sent to me, but rather to ShelfWise who will not be able to process it unless they get a discount code first. Needless to say, they will not send those codes to me until they have the eBook ready for sale to the public.

Stew
stewshe

Postby stewshe on Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:01 am

Last night I opened a "rough draft" of the eBook version of my Work Comp Index, 9th ed. for the first time. There are some minor corrections being made, but I was able to open it on my laptop and:

1. Go to the index in the Index and Table of Contents in the front of the book, pages 5 to 18, click on a blue colored page number and almost instantly "go" there.

2. It was also possible to click on a list of major sections beginning with A, B, C, etc. taking the reader to the beginning of each of those sections in the book which act as Chapters.

2. I could click on a search function box and, e.g., key in lower case letters and search for a CASE NAME such as "BENSON" or MONTANA which are both cited several times. It was a simple click to repeat the search and move from one "hit" to the next effortlessly.

For those not familiar with my books, I put the name of an injured worker in a case cite in BOLD UPPER CASE to make it easier to locate when visually searching a page for a name. This is helpful because sometimes we all forget a case name, but will know it if we see it. At least that's how my memory works!

3. The "view" of a page could easily be increased or decreased in size to allow for personal taste.

The eBook should be ready in the very near future, well before 7/1 . . . I hope!

Stew
stewshe

Postby stewshe on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:40 pm

eBook status update:

The 7/1/12 debut date was a bit optimistic. I now am shooting for 7/15/12. In English that means that by 7/15 I expect to be able to ship "Discount Codes" to all those who have purchased and paid for my book to date so they in turn can go to [url]shelfwise.com[/url] and instead of paying $179 for the eBook, they can get a discount of the full purchase price of the physical book, $149, reducing the cost of the eBook to $30 for a single user version (the only type being sold).

Reason for the delay: The initial corrections I wanted amounted to only a few minor problems. For example, the program used to convert print to eBook format did not handle superscript and subscript well. "1/2" as a single character was translated several different ways. There were other minor correctons, perhaps 20 total.

I almost "signed off" on the eBook, but at the last moment I noticed in the body of the book I made many comments, such as when discussing Permanent Disability I might tell the reader to "See, 'Apportionment, New' p?."

The problem was the body of the eBook was identical to the physical book. In order to be a valid "eBook" it needs to have a link at each place in the eBook where the physical book makes a page reference.

At first blush, this seems like a minor matter, but the problem is an eBook can be read in a variety of different machines and the page numbers within the eBook will vary widely from the paperback. The eBook would have been a much less valuable resource without internal page references in the body of the book which are accurate, i.e., "links" no matter whether you have an iPhone or a PC.

Then I ran a search with WordPerfect for, "see p.!" as well as several other similar searches. Bottom line? There were around 2,300 of these "corrections" which needed to be made!

I was told today a reasonable estimate of when the "re-revised" eBook will be ready for my customers to download would be 7/15/12. Initially, I thought it would be ready by 7/1, but only today found out that was overly optomistic.

Please accept my apologies for the delay. The product will be much better after undergoing the changes noted above!

Again, all purchasers who have received a book should get a letter postmarked, hopefully 7/15/12, but possibly a few days before or after that date, giving a discount code allowing the purchase of the eBook from shelfwise.com. Without the discount code, ShelfWise will charge the full, $179 price.

Stew
stewshe

Postby stewshe on Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:50 am

All,

Unfortunately, there has been yet another delay. The corrections I sent in totaled around 2,300 cross-references in the body of the book to other places in the book and this has taken longer to correct than I previously estimated.

I just learned a revised "customer ready" version is expected next week. I will need a few days to review it and make final corrections which will in turn need to be implemented, so the new target date is 7/31/12.

Again, my apologies for the delay, but I know potential customers will appreciate a better product! For instance, I now have citations which were not available when the book was printed and those cites are going to be added to the eBook!

Stew
stewshe

Postby stewshe on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:17 am

The eBook version of my Work Comp Index , 9th ed. is currently for sale for $179.00 at Shelfwise! (This is the only place it can be purchased.)

All persons/firms who have bought a physical copy of the book will be mailed a discount coupon number within approximately 2 weeks giving them a $149.00 discount on the eBook! This will be a single user version and an accompanying letter will explain how to use it. It will let them go to the following site and order the book with a discount. Otherwise, the site will demand $179:

http://shelfwise.directfrompublisher.com/catalog/book/work-comp-index

In a day or two there will be a link so visitors can look at the first few pages in the eBook to see what the eBook will look like. The main features are:

Usable on a variety of formats, e.g., personal computer, iPhone, iPad, and many more, but I don't believe Kindle.

The Index to the book will have blue "links," e.g., "Acts of God" will have a blue link "p19". That page number is the page number in the physical book. If you click on it you will be taken to that page in the eBook {it will not work here} which will probably not be the same. The eBook's fonts can be scaled up or down in size so page numbers will vary depending on the selection.

Anyhow, here is the entry under "Acts of God, cut and pasted from the eBook!!:
<<
* ACTS OF GOD: {An unusual “natural event,” such as an earthquake. Theory is injuries caused by such acts are not compensable, since they do not “arise out of employment.” It is a defense seldom seen or allowed.} Hanna §§4.80-4.81; SOC §5.64; What If? Workers’ Comp and Earthquakes, LexisNexis eNewsletter of 3/19/11 by Julius Young
>>

The entry "SOC" is for Mr. Sullivan's set of books, [i]Sullivan on Comp[/i]. There are 420 references in the eBook to his publication.

In the physical book, "Acts of God" are in bold and "small caps" which appear as bold FULL CAPS in the eBook, but the bold does not carry over when you cut and paste, e.g., here.

The start of the eBook also includes on the first page an alphabetical listing of letters "A" - "Z" which are links which will take you to the start of those sections. If you want something near e.g., the end of the "P" section, click on "Q" and scroll up! A great idea!

You can also key in things to search for and go "up" or "down" by clicking or go to a slide like the one on the right of this screen and move it up or down. It is so sensitive if you use a touch pad you can press your finger down and roll it "up" or down slightly and move a page or two up/down.

I hope you like it! Remember, I'm not selling it. It is only available from Shelfwise at the link above and if you've bought the physical book and want the $149 discount (which will be reduced in a month or two), just wait a few days and you'll get a letter from me and a discount coupon code!

Stew
stewshe

Return to Classifieds