Stewart retiring from publishing books (California)

Post your classified advertising for goods and services and interact with customers. Please note - job ads not permitted in this forum and will be deleted. For job ads, please go to https://ww3.workcompcentral.com/Memberjobs/recentjobs/?status=unp.

Stewart retiring from publishing books (California)

Postby stewshe on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:10 am

I have decided to retire from writing and publishing books on workers' comp claims in California. I have done so continuously since publishing my first "bookllet" on Vocational Rehabilitation May 31, 1988. (All subsequent books have had May as a target date in the year of publication. It has given me time to digest and key in changes in legislation from the prior year as well as commentary by others.) Last year I published the 9th edition of my Work Comp Index on May 25th after many costly delays and more headaches than usual!

The bottom line is I am tired of all the work which being an author/publisher entails. I am fortunate to be in good health and have decided to sell the rights to all of my books and retire. People think the writing portion is the most work, but it simply is not. The publishing end, which includes marketing the books, is far more work, both physically and mentally.

I am tired of puting stamps on hundreds of envelopes a month, printing hundreds of letters and fliers, signing them, stuffing them into envelopes and of course shipping books, invoices or receipts. I have done this for 36 years this May and that is enough.

I have requested bids from a number of prospective buyers and plan on selling to the highest bidder. I plan on selling ALL rights to all of my books, past, present and future. The most recent include the 9th edition of the Work Comp Index, $149; I have an interest in the eBook version of the Work Comp Index which is sold only at http://shelfwise.directfrompublisher.com for $179, but all who buy the Work Comp Index will get a $149 discount coupon reducing the eBook's price to $30; and the SB-863 Reform Supplement, $25 each.

Readers should expect the value of the eBook's discount coupon to shortly be reduced, effectively increasing the price of the eBook to most buyers. However, those who have an earlier discount coupon will still be able to use it once at the same discount rate. It does not have an expiration date.

The purchaser of my books will also receive my unsold inventory at the time of the sale, as well as my "Accounts Receivable." I have sold hundreds of books and expect to sell even more at my last two seminars, but there still should be a few hundred of each remaining to be sold.

The sale price will of course include my software and both actual books for editing and keying in future new editions.

I look forward to hearing from some new prospective bidders!
James T. Stewart (stewshe@comcast.net)
stewshe

Re: Stewart retiring from publishing books (California)

Postby suekarp on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:05 am

Analyses of future changes to "the system" will not be the same without you. Thank you for all of the efforts and energy that you have expended over the past years.
suekarp

Postby stewshe on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Today I received my second and third offers to buy the rights to my books. Hopefully, the sale will be decided by the end of the month!

Stew
stewshe

Postby rbaird on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:54 pm

Happy landings, Stew! You have provided a real service to the comp community for many years. Hope you continue to post and educate on this forum. We have been around long enough to see a great deal of change, much of it for the worse.
rbaird

Postby stewshe on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:29 am

Judge Baird,

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement! Yes, I plan on continuing to post on "workcompforums" for the indefinite future.

I agree many of the changes we have all seen in comp over the last several years have been for the worse, but when I started in claims back in 1973 I remember "old-timers" then making the same kind of complaints, and also saying the "training and quality" of adjusters had really gone downhill in the last 15 - 20 years!

The French have an expression which translates, "The more things change, the more they remain the same." I'm afraid "comp" in Calif., if not in the entire country, is one giant "Whack-A-Mole" game! A mole sticks it's head up, it gets whacked and instantly another pops up nearby, ad infinitum.

Stew
stewshe

Return to Classifieds