Work Comp Index, 8th Ed, shipping 5/16/10 (California) (Cali

Post your classified advertising for goods and services and interact with customers. Please note - job ads not permitted in this forum and will be deleted. For job ads, please go to https://ww3.workcompcentral.com/Memberjobs/recentjobs/?status=unp.

Work Comp Index, 8th Ed, shipping 5/16/10 (California) (Cali

Postby stewshe on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:04 pm

Yesterday I shipped 1000 pages of camera ready copy to the printer. The entries have been extensively updated to include references to hundreds of new Labor Code sections, the Code of Regulations, and the other codes in "The Labor Code Book," and of course case law. The book is alphabetical by subject with thousands of references and cross references to Workers' Compensation in California.

I hate it when I try to find something in an index and am referred to another page and there find a 1 or 2 line entry! Why couldn't they just give the info to start with!? I never refer a reader somewhere else for a short entry...I simply repeat it or sometimes 2 or 3 paragraphs. This increases the reader's odds of finding what they are looking for the 1st place they look, instead of the 5th.

My book assumes the reader has access to the codes and regulations as well as case law and well known treatises by experts such as Hanna, Herlick, the Continuing Education of the Bar, California Workers' Compensation Law and Practice (Judge St. Clair book) and Judge O'Brien's book plus seminar materials from CAAA, CWCDAA, the DWC, etc.

The price of $129 includes sales tax and shipping costs. (I hate added charges!) Discounts are avalilable for quantity purchases. Send me an e-mail about payment options. I hope to be able to accept credit/debit cards by 5/1/10.

Stew
James T. Stewart (stewshe@comcast.net)
stewshe

Re: Work Comp Index, 8th Ed, shipping 5/16/10 (California) (Cali

Postby davidd on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:59 am

TESTIMONIAL - If anyone has followed the Forums here, you will know that Stew always has his fingers on the correct answer (well, usually - I won't conceded that he's ALWAYS correct!) and the reason is because of his great WCI book. Stew's book is a SERIOUS research tool for SERIOUS work comp people in CA. At $129 it's cheap.
davidd
Site Admin

Postby rosellavera on Mon May 10, 2010 9:05 am

Hi Stew,

When can we expect your book in CD-rom?

-Rose
rosellavera

Postby rbaird on Mon May 10, 2010 10:30 am

Congrats Stew on managing to retire and deliver the 8th edition of your Index. Think I can pass on buying this one, I have been retired for almost three years now and don't think it is likely I will work again. Folks, this is a great resource and will efficiently deliver you the relevant case law...
rbaird

Postby stewshe on Tue May 11, 2010 5:44 am

Rose,

I've thought about putting my book on a CD, but have been too afraid of prirated copies. I've had suggestions to put it out as an iPhone Ap, or on one of the eBook formats. I just heard a couple of weeks ago some of the eBooks are also subject to illicit copying, so for now I'll just stick to a paper copy.

Others have offered to set up a website for me, and I've had offers from several well known publishers as well as several private inviduals. Perhaps when I'm ready to retire in a few years?

Thanks for asking!

Stew
stewshe

Postby stewshe on Fri May 14, 2010 5:47 am

All book orders have been shipped as of 5/13/10...3 days before my official publication date, 5/16/10. I picked that day because the 1st edition of the Work Comp Index was published 5/16/1990, so 5/16/10 will be its 20th anniversary.

There will not be another edition until 5/16/12 at the earliest.

Stew
stewshe

Postby stewshe on Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:38 pm

Tomorrow my wife, Sheila, and I are off to scenic Las Vegas for the Calif. W/C Defense Attny's Assn. seminar at the Red Rock resort, leaving Sunday. We'll have a booth there, hopefully, selling some books.

Sheila worked first for Fireman's Fund in w/c claims in Fresno, then as a Legal Assistant for Hanna and Brophy in Fresno. She left to go to Zenith also in Fresno where she worked as a claims adjuster/supevisor for 17 years. (6 fraud convictions and a couple of "take nothings" one year!)

The unit she supervised was phased out and all employees in the unit were laid off. She then went to Kaiser as their "Local Business Office Manager (managing Fresno, Selma & Clovis offices) for 2 years and then THEY re-organized! She had a year to find other work within Kaiser, didn't, left and temped a month at Zenith, and now is back at Kaiser...in Quality Control...no longer w/c claims.

She has had a big influence on "my" book. She suggested I write it and has helped a great deal in editing, including style and content as well as many suggested entries. She also tell me when I'm "Full of it," as wives have a habit of doing.

Anyhow, on June 17-20 I'll be at the CSIMS conference in San Diego and June 24-26 we'll both be in Monterey for the CAAA seminar.

If anyone seeing this plans on attending, be sure to look us up and say, "Howdy"!

Stew
stewshe

Postby gaiassoul1@yahoo.com on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:18 am

Just met Stew in Burbank, so I have books for anyone in So. CA who wants the instant gratification of handing me a check made out to James Stewart for $129 for a book.

I will announce my WCAB appearances and be wandering the hallways of the local So. CA WCABs to get copies to anyone who wants them. I am at Pomona for two trials Wednesday, June 23, 2010 at 8:30 am....so find me or email me at gaiasoul@gmail.com to let me know if you want a book.

I live in Pasadena, work in Ontario on weekdays and Vans Nuys on weekends, willing to deliver books to all point in between if you can't wait for my appearance at a local WCAB.....

take care all, and get a book, invaluable resource and a literal bargain at $129.00...try getting any other complete work comp reference for that price.

Ginger
gaiassoul1@yahoo.com

Postby stewshe on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:55 am

The CAAA seminar in Monterey this past Thursday - Sunday was a big success for me. My wife, Sheila, and I sold 5 cases of books and took orders for shipping many more.

Several people had suggestions for new entries while others pointed out errors. I of course do not like to hear about my mistakes, but appreciate it greatly. I firmly believe a mistake not found and corrected is two mistakes!

Now I have to get busy and ship those orders!

Stew
stewshe

Return to Classifieds