For Psychology / Neuropsychology QME's (California)

Post questions about QMEs/IMEs/AMEs here (many people ask about unfamiliar physicians - this sub-forum will keep these questions consolidated).

For Psychology / Neuropsychology QME's (California)

Postby appliedpsych on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:20 am

Just wondering what you psychologist QME's are experiencing post SB-863? Any major changes notable yet?
appliedpsych

Re: For Psychology / Neuropsychology QME's (California)

Postby cmunday on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:04 am

Not noticed anything yet for me or anyone in our group. But, the restrictions apply to injuries after 1/1/13 I believe. Since I pretty much do only neuropsych I've actually predicted that area of business will increase because there will be an emphasis on making behavioral or emotional difficulties "organic" and using Chapter 13 rather than the GAF. Just played golf with a savvy attorney who also thinks this will occur. That said, I would not bet on where this will all head or end up.

Further, most anticipate a lot of litigation as to what constitutes a "catastrophic" injury and what constitutes a "severe head injury" (the law says "head injury" not brain injury and this may create problems in interpretation - if a "head injury" results in a mild brain injury is that a "severe head injury"?). One big question is whether "catastrophic" applies to the specifics of the event causing the injury or to the disabling effects of the injury. If a simple back injury leads to unemployment, loss of home, divorce, and we have a devastated patient one can (and surely some will) argue that injury was "catastrophic" for that individual.

I confess I actually enjoy sitting back and watching the unintended consequences ensue.
cmunday

Postby jobmdpsych on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:49 am

I think one area of the comorbidity that is still permissible is arousal disorders, since the new law didn't specifically target that.
jobmdpsych

Postby Drjewel on Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:34 pm

I'm not noticing any changes, except maybe a few more pure psych cases. I feel busier than I was last year, 4-7 per month for a few months.

It seems a bit quieter for end of year, but there's still October.

I'm with CM, I enjoy watching the attorneys wrestle with catastrophe...
Drjewel

Postby mk61347 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:21 am

Starting toward the end of 2014, I am noticing a significant decrease in QME exams. A reduction of 50 to 60 percent
mk61347

Postby mk61347 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:21 am

Starting toward the end of 2014, I am noticing a significant decrease in QME exams. A reduction of 50 to 60 percent
mk61347

Return to QME/IME/AME